Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/18 05:58:40 UTC

How to make votes more visible?

On genera@ we discuss a lot of things. Especially when somebody wants
to discuss the formal side of the incubator there is suddenly a high
load on the mailinglist. It is very easy to miss current votes. At
least it happened to me.

Can we somehow find a way to highlight currently running votes?

Of course a webbased tool which shows information on the incubator
site would be perfect, but i am afraid we would need to code it and
there is just to less man power. Maybe there are other ideas

Christian

--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: How to make votes more visible?

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 7:01 PM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I recommend that you start by politely asking your mentors.
>
> If you, or one of these other projects, don't have enough active
> mentors to pass a release vote, I recommend that you recruit more
> mentors. One possibility is that one the participants could join the
> IPMC; we have voted in people who have demonstrated enough grasp of
> the requirements.

Its not so easy to recruit mentors. Not for all projects.

> I am a pessimist about getting releases reviewed 'in the cloud' of
> miscellaneous members of this PMC.

Yes, actually very sad.

These projects have less than 3 mentors and cannot release a component
without the IPMC-cloud:

http://incubator.apache.org/projects/easyant.html
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/mesos.html
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/s4.html
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/tashi.html
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/wink.html

Many others "just" have three. Hopefully non of the mentors is on
holidays when the release comes out.

i watch a couple of projects and saw a lot of the mentors listed on
status pages are simply not present. Even when a project "recruits a
new mentor" it doesn't mean it can make a release with mentor-votes.

I remember Bloodhound, JSPWiki, Deltacloud had problems to get
necessary votes. Onami parent pom did take a while too. I think there
were many others too.

Christian

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Gary,

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 23.01.2013 18:42, Gary Martin wrote:
> Regarding the original suggestion, a web based tool would only seem to
> be useful if the problem is associated with IPMC members not noticing
> rather than not feeling that they have time to do proper reviews.

That's a fair point. Still, I've decided to have a go at generating a
web status page anyway. Should have a prototype ready soon.

> Has this been determined yet? Are there any other possible reasons?

I suppose it's not just time, but lack of interest, too. I admit that I
seldom look at releases from podlings I'm not mentoring.

-- Brane

Re: How to make votes more visible?

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.