Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/11 23:54:20 UTC

Re: I dream of a velocity expression custom JSP tag

On 8/23/06, Jeff Schnitzer <je...@infohazard.org> wrote:
> Just catching up, it's a busy week before burning man :-)
>
> I think this is a marvelous idea.
>
> I actually started working on a JSTL-ish set of tags based on the Groovy
> expression language because AFAICT the Groovy expression language is a
> perfect superset of Velocity's.  The main reason, though, is that Groovy
> has a nice API that lets me evaluate expressions directly so it's easy.
>
> I'd be perfectly happy with VSTL instead of GSTL... it's just a question
> of a nice API for evaluating expressions.

I just noticed this:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/jexl/index.html

if you look at the javadocs, you can see it's not just
Velocity-inspired but is basically a fork of Velocity.  Not sure how
best this would fit into a VSTL idea, but it's certainly something we
need to look at.