Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Prakhar Mathur <pr...@gojek.com> on 2022/09/09 19:04:38 UTC

Understanding webhook checks in flink operator

Hi,

We are trying to install Flink Kubernetes operator v1.1.0. Few questions
regarding the webhooks:

   - Is it necessary to install webhooks? If not, what can be the
   implications?
   - What type of validations and mutations does it support?

Thanks
Prakhar Mathur

Re: Understanding webhook checks in flink operator

Posted by Őrhidi Mátyás <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Prakhar,

the webhook is an optional component in the Flink Operator. It's
responsible mainly for validation through:
https://github.com/apache/flink-kubernetes-operator/blob/main/flink-kubernetes-operator/src/main/java/org/apache/flink/kubernetes/operator/validation/DefaultValidator.java

This is also enforced in the operator, without the webhook anyway.

There's a convenient functionality implemented in a mutating webhook
component that adds labels to session jobs to support label based filtering:
https://github.com/apache/flink-kubernetes-operator/blob/main/flink-kubernetes-webhook/src/main/java/org/apache/flink/kubernetes/operator/admission/mutator/FlinkMutator.java

We're adding documentation for the webhook soon.

Best,
Matyas