Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> on 2005/10/12 16:06:14 UTC

assembly plugin usage

Howdy,

I'm just doing some more doco on the assembly plugin (mostly lifting
Johnny's work - thanks!) and I wanted to ask folks what they think the
most common use is when specifying multiple assemblies.

Say you have three assemblies, namely a binary, source, and an all-dep
assembly. Do you think when creating assemblies you would always create
all three?

If so it might be easier to list a set of descriptors instead of having
to create separate executions for each assembly descriptor.

So right now if you have multiple assemblies, and therefore multiple
descriptors, you don't have the <descriptor/> element specified and you
use a command line option to specify the descriptor. So if you wanted to
make all three that might get a little tedious. So that's the question:
when you are making assemblies would you naturally be making all of
them? If so I think a list of descriptors is more appropriate. If not,
then what we have is fine.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

First, the taking in of scattered particulars under one Idea,
so that everyone understands what is being talked about ... Second,
the separation of the Idea into parts, by dividing it at the joints,
as nature directs, not breaking any limb in half as a bad carver might.

  -- Plato, Phaedrus (Notes on the Synthesis of Form by C. Alexander)

Re: assembly plugin usage

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
I think a list of descriptors is appropriate. You usually want to do
them together.

We can include both and phase out the original single liner (or keep it
as short hand).

Are there any other concerns surrounding this?

- Brett