Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Shannon Brown <re...@shannonbrown.net> on 2002/02/18 22:09:48 UTC

Tomcat 4_0_2 ConnectException

Redhat Linux 7.2 (with latest updates)
Sun JDK 1.4.0 Final
Apache 1.3
Tomcat 4_0_2 ***RPM Version***

I had a working copy of Tomcat 4_0_1 until this morning.

I downloaded the new 4_0_2 RPMs and installed them as indicated in
RUNNING.txt.

When I attempt to start the Tomcat Process, the startup script seems to
execute fine.  However, a ps -A indicates that no Java process is running.
When I execute the tomcat4 stop command, I receive a series of Java error
messages:
Catalina.stop:java.net.ConnectionException: Connection refused.
BootStrap.java: 243

I have combed through my configuration and everything seems OK.  I ran
netstat and do not see any conflicting ports.  I did not touch the
server.xml file.  I, however, do not see the reference to port 8080 that
used to be in older versions of server.xml.

I checked my java.policy and catalina.policy files and they seem OK.  I did
note that the java.policy file allows listen for ports above 1024.  This was
OK with prior versions, and I do not see any documentation indicating
otherwise.  Changing to connect does not help.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Can anyone assist or offer any advice.

Shannon Brown
  Internet Technologies Architect
  Business Technologies Advisor
    www.shannonbrown.net
    info@shannonbrown.net
    717.665.5656

RE: Tomcat 4_0_2 ConnectException

Posted by Shannon Brown <re...@shannonbrown.net>.
Thank you David.

I kept working with the problem and did see two services being started in
the catalina.out file.  I thought that this was odd.  Upon further
investigation, commenting out the entire Tomcat-Apache Service fixed the
problem.  I am not sure why the Tomcat-Apache service does not work, but
removing this section allowed Tomcat to start -- ps -A showed all the java
threads and netstat -a showed the ports being used.

I posted a fix at:
http://www.shannonbrown.net/resources/linux-resources.htm

As I was debugging the issue, I also saw a minor issue with the RPMs.
Apparently the RPM version creates a new user called tomcat4 but sets the
home directory to /var/tomcat rather than /var/tomcat4.  This causes a
problem when attempting to execute the start or stop script.

Shannon Brown
  Internet Technologies Architect
  Business Technologies Advisor
    www.shannonbrown.net
    info@shannonbrown.net
    717.665.5656

Typically an error like this would show in the catalina.out log file.  I
would suspect though that you are experiencing a seg fault in the jvm on
startup.  At the very minimum, if TC 4 is starting successfully, you should
see a number of java threads in the output of 'ps -A'.

--David

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.