Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Tom Chiverton <to...@apache.org> on 2013/11/19 20:01:27 UTC

SDK Installer on Linux - status report

I had to install AIR itself via
http://www.ubuntubuzz.com/2012/08/how-to-install-adobe-air-on-ubuntu-1204.html
and then the .deb from our download page installs fine, as sadly it appears
Adobe are no longer publishing it in their main repository :
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/adobeair/

And so the GUI (certainly in KDE) says it can't install our installer because
it has no idea where to find the AIR runtime from.
At the very least I think I should write a page on our Wiki, and we should
link there from the download page 'for Linux users' ?

And then there is the issue that although the installer is installed, and
appears in the menus, for some reason it closes immediately after launch,
though it's fine from the command line.
Still debugging that one :-)

--
Tom
If people didn't have fantasies they wouldn't be people.

Re: SDK Installer on Linux - status report

Posted by Tom Chiverton <to...@apache.org>.
On Saturday 23 November 2013 09:51:37 OmPrakash Muppirala wrote:
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Installation+help#
> >
> > Any Windows users have any trouble shooting tips they want to include ?
> >
> > I'm thinking a subtle text link to the right of the badge on
> > http://flex.apache.org/installer.html makes sense ?
> > --
>
> Yes, please.

That's now live.
--
Tom

Re: SDK Installer on Linux - status report

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 23, 2013 6:03 AM, "Tom Chiverton" <to...@apache.org> wrote:

> OK, so here's the Wiki page on installer help :
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Installation+help#
>
> Any Windows users have any trouble shooting tips they want to include ?
>
> I'm thinking a subtle text link to the right of the badge on
> http://flex.apache.org/installer.html makes sense ?
> --

Yes, please.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.
Appears to work, cheers.

Tom

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
OK, try editing the wiki.

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.
 > What's your wiki account id?

Good question :-)

Err... tchiverton ?

Tom

Re: SDK Installer on Linux - status report

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 11/20/13 1:36 AM, "Tom Chiverton" <tc...@extravision.com> wrote:

>On 20/11/2013 09:25, Justin Mclean wrote:
>
> > > I think it's quite a hurdle so some clear docs are a good start.
>
>> No argument there.
>
>If someone grants my user create pages permission on the Wiki I'll put
>something under Guides and Reference to start with.
What's your wiki account id?

-Alex

Re: SDK Installer on Linux - status report

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.
On 20/11/2013 09:25, Justin Mclean wrote:

 > > I think it's quite a hurdle so some clear docs are a good start.

> No argument there.

If someone grants my user create pages permission on the Wiki I'll put something under Guides and Reference to start with.

> That would be the best way forward, I looked into it in the past (for ubuntu) but there's a
> reasonable amount of work involved and I know very about making Linux packages.

I built a script into a PPA
(https://launchpad.net/~bugs-launchpad-net-falkensweb/+archive/remove-old-kernels)
so have all the gubins set up already.
I don't imagine something similar to RPM systems would be too much hassle.

We'd need to unpack the Flex installer .deb, and add a post install
script, then rebuild and resign it (not the .air app itself, that stays
untouched).
I can look into giving this a go later this week; if it works locally
I'll spin up a PPA.

The post install script is fairly simple as far as I can tell
* check for the AIR runtime libraries
* if found exit
* wget the .deb for the runtime
* dpkg -i it
* ln -s the broken locations

If Apache ever gets a redist licence, we can simply include the runtime
in the same PPA, and then the installer can express a dependency on the
the runtime that will be automatically resolved (I think).

Tom

Re: SDK Installer on Linux - status report

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I think it's quite a hurdle so some clear docs are a good start.
No argument there.

> Sadly, we can't just supply a .tgz because the SDK requires AIR that we can't redistribute.
Unless we had a redistribution license (not impossible btw).

> We could package the existing Flex installer into a repository along with a script to fetch and install AIR too ?
That would be the best way forward, I looked into it in the past (for ubuntu) but there's a reasonable amount of work involved and I know very about making Linux packages.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: SDK Installer on Linux - status report

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.
On 19/11/2013 20:46, Justin Mclean wrote:
> But you can download and install the AIR runtime from here right?
Yes; But it wont work without creating additional symbolic links.
If all you want is to install the SDK, and you are not going to building
an AIR app, I think it's quite a hurdle so some clear docs are a good start.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I had to install AIR itself via
> http://www.ubuntubuzz.com/2012/08/how-to-install-adobe-air-on-ubuntu-1204.html
> and then the .deb from our download page installs fine, as sadly it appears
> Adobe are no longer publishing it in their main repository :
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/adobeair/

But you can download and install the AIR runtime from here right?

http://helpx.adobe.com/air/kb/archived-air-sdk-version.html

Which links to:
http://airdownload.adobe.com/air/lin/download/2.6/AdobeAIRInstaller.bin

Thanks,