Posted to dev@servicemix.apache.org by "gede06@student.bth.se" <ge...@student.bth.se> on 2006/09/22 17:53:58 UTC

Maven using limited set of download mirrors => errors

Hej!

Building of 3.0 "will-be-release" version did not work automatically when I
tried it first (last thursday); I got BUILD ERRORs due to undownloadable
files. For a successful build, I had to do over two dozen manual searches --
far too many for an official distro IMHO. Wasn't the first time. Some days
ago others reported similar issues (e.g. subject "error building servicemix
3.0") so it happens not only here in Sweden (maybe due to longer delays, too
many hops for the TTL,...) but elsewhere as well.

As an example: Maven was looking for maven-plugin-parent-2.1.pom (and the
JARs) but was unable to find it on the 4 mirrors it tried to download from.
The mirrors did not even have a 2.1 directory (!), thus for sure no v2.1
files, what leads me to this assumtion: Whoever was commiting these build
instructions obviously had all the missing things locally available (maybe
as he/she already build another project with same dependencies) and thus did
not stumble over those problems.
==> Possible solution 1: For releases, the commiter's local Maven repository
has to be renamed temporary thus Maven has to download everything and
reports all problems.

What I do not really understand, as I am just a Maven beginner and no
expert: The official maven repro (repro1.maven.org) had most of the missing
stuff (finding of my manual search) BUT was _not even tried_ for the failed
things! It seems like the ServiceMix pom (or whatever) is kind of limiting
the mirrors tried for the things that did NOT work -- the other mirrors (all
that are mentioned at
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-mirror-settings.html are in my
settings.xml) are used for all downloads but the failed ones.
==> Possible solution 2: In case this limiting really applies, broaden the
list of mirrors.
==> Possible solution 3: In case it has some other reasons, explicitly
include at least the official maven repro -- would heal not all but most of
the bothering problems I experienced.

Attached you find a screenshot of one issue. I think these two lines are
pretty strange as they do not fit together:
Downloading:
http://mirrors.sunsite.dk/maven2/org/apache/xbean/xbean-server/2.6/xbean-server-2.6.pom
[WARNING] Unable to get resource from repository central
(http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2)

BTW: I will put some detailed hints on how to solve Maven problems in the
user's guide, maybe as links to the maven site.

Thanks for hints how to get an automated solution for those downloads, Georg

[INFO] [resources:resources]
[WARNING]
        Artifact hsqldb:hsqldb:jar:1.7.3.3:test retains local scope 'test'
overriding broader scope 'compile'
        given by a dependency. If this is not intended, modify or remove the
local scope.

Downloading:
http://mirrors.sunsite.dk/maven2/org/apache/xbean/xbean-server/2.6/xbean-server-2.6.pom
[WARNING] Unable to get resource from repository central
(http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2)
Downloading:
http://servicemix.org/m2-repo/org/apache/xbean/xbean-server/2.6/xbean-server-2.6.pom
[WARNING] Unable to get resource from repository servicemix-m2-repo
(http://servicemix.org/m2-repo)
Downloading:
http://people.apache.org/~chirino/incubator-activemq-4.0.2-RC3/maven2/org/apache/xbean/xbean-server/2.6/xbean-server-2.6.pom
[WARNING] Unable to get resource from repository activemq-tmp-repo
http://mirrors.sunsite.dk/maven2/org/apache/xbean/xbean-server/2.6/xbean-server-2.6.jar
http://servicemix.org/m2-repo/org/apache/xbean/xbean-server/2.6/xbean-server-2.6.jar
http://people.apache.org/~chirino/incubator-activemq-4.0.2-RC3/maven2/org/apache/xbean/xbean-server/2.6/xbean-server-2.6.jar
[WARNING] Unable to get resource from repository activemq-tmp-repo
(http://people.apache.org/~chirino/incubator-activemq-4.0.2-RC3/maven2)
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.

Missing:
----------
1) org.apache.xbean:xbean-server:jar:2.6

  Then, install it using the command:
      mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=org.apache.xbean
-DartifactId=xbean-server \
          -Dversion=2.6 -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=/path/to/file

  Path to dependency:
        1) org.apache.servicemix:servicemix-core:jar:3.0-incubating
        2) org.apache.xbean:xbean-server:jar:2.6

----------
1 required artifact is missing.

for artifact:
  org.apache.servicemix:servicemix-core:jar:3.0-incubating

from the specified remote repositories:
  central (http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2),
  servicemix-m2-repo (http://servicemix.org/m2-repo),
  apache.snapshots (http://svn.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository),
  activemq-tmp-repo

Re: Maven using limited set of download mirrors => errors

Posted by "gede06@student.bth.se" <ge...@student.bth.se>.

gnodet wrote:

> I see several solutions:
>   * use a file based repository backed by svn
>   * once the release is done, upload the used repository which
>      contain all the needed dependencies to the distribution site

Those two IMHO seem to be the easiest -- except there exist some means in
pom.xml to force Maven to try the central repository (where I found
everything when manually searching, see mail starting the thread) for all
subprojects. IMHO the lead developers shall decide about that as they know
most.

Georg

Re: Maven using limited set of download mirrors => errors

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
I see several solutions:
  * use a file based repository backed by svn
  * once the release is done, upload the used repository
     which contain all the needed dependencies to the
     distribution site
  * using the maven-release-plugin would modify the
     poms so that it use explicit versions for all maven
     plugins.  Unfortunately, it can not be done currently
     because we have to build in two phases (step1, step2).

The last point would be solve by restructuring the source
tree and split core / tooling / components release cycle.

On 9/22/06, gede06@student.bth.se <ge...@student.bth.se> wrote:

> Hej Guillaume!
>

> gnodet wrote:
> >
> > When I did the release, I did ensure that all dependencies are available
> > from the listed repositories by trashing my m2 local repo.
> >
> Strange that it worked for you but not for me...I had those errors for two
> days, so it was not just a temporary thing of a couple of minutes.
>

> gnodet wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to rebuild it to see if it still works.
> > It seems to work from me. Could you try with a clean repo ?
> >
> I just tried, now automatic downloading works fine :)
>

> gnodet wrote:
> >
> > You should not have to download manually any file, but retry until maven
> > downloads all the dependencies.
> >
> Well, 2-3 tries with always the same files being broken indicates it's not
> just a coincidence solving itself during the next minutes. As I wrote, a
> whole directory was not existing on all tried mirrors -- this will only be
> fixes when the mirrors are updated some hours later.
>
> My main point is not to get stuff done here for me (it took time but finally
> I had a running build). My point is how to avoid such problems in general.
> Obviously, my proposed solution 1 is not enough :-/
>
> Georg

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: Maven using limited set of download mirrors => errors

Posted by "gede06@student.bth.se" <ge...@student.bth.se>.
Hej Guillaume!

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
It seems to work from me.
Could you try with a clean repo ? You should not
have to download manually any file, but retry until
maven downloads all the dependencies.

Btw, the xbean-server jar is available at [1].

[1] http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/org/apache/xbean/xbean-server/2.6/xbean-server-2.6.jar

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: Maven using limited set of download mirrors => errors

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
When I did the release, I did ensure that all dependencies
are available from the listed repositories by
trashing my m2 local repo.

I have just checked, and I have no 2.1 version of
maven-plugin-parent in my local repo ...

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet