Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Nikolai Krot <ta...@gmail.com> on 2019/07/18 11:34:17 UTC

How to see output of profile and statistics configuration parameters

Hi,

I would like to measure the speed of running Ruta scripts. I do not know
this can be done but found some configurations parameters in uima ruta
manual, namely, *profile* and *statistics*, described around this section
https://uima.apache.org/d/ruta-current/tools.ruta.book.html#ugr.tools.ruta.ae.basic.parameter.profile

So, I configure it in the ruta script. For example, the script is named
Main.ruta. In the Main.ruta, I write

    // in Main.ruta file
    ENGINE uima.ruta.mystuff.OtherEngine;
    CONFIGURE(uima.ruta.mystuff.OtherEngine, "profile"=true,
"statistics"=true);

And i run the script on some file. Now question one: where can I see info
generated by the above configuration options? Are they somehow displayed in
Annotation Browser View? Are they in generated xmi file? Are they in the
cas object?

My 2nd queston is how to set the same options to the script being run. If I
add the following lines to the script Main.ruta, I end up with stack
overflow (my guess, caused by recursion):

  // in Main.ruta file
  ENGINE uima.ruta.mystuff.Main;
  CONFIGURE(uima.ruta.mystuff.MainEngine, "profile"=true,
"statistics"=true);

My main question is how to measure speed is how to measure speed of running
ruta script. Im my setup, i have one Main.ruta that imports several other
scripts and runs them, I want to measure time of all individual scripts and
Main.ruta. COuld you advice on how to do it or point me to the
documentation where it is described?

Thanks in advance,
Nikolai

Re: How to see output of profile and statistics configuration parameters

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
Hi,

yes, you need to activate the configuration parameter profile and
statistics, together with debug and maybe debugWithMatches. How to do
that depends on how you execute your Ruta script.

If you integrate the Ruta script directly in an UIMA pipeline, then you
need to set 3-5 configuration parameters.

If you launch directly the script in the Ruta Workbench, then you can
simply choose "debug" instead of "run". The analysis engine will be
automatically configured.

The collected information are normally available in two views of the
Ruta Workbench. Open the CAS file with the CAS Editor and switch to the
Explain perspective. In the applied rules view, there is additional
information about the absolute and relative time for each script and
each rule. For the statistics, there is a separate view called statistics.

Using CONFIGURE within a script for additional script won't do the trick
and self-configuring is not supported as it causes the SO.

Best,

Peter

(sorry that it took me so long to answer)

--
Dr. Peter Klügl
R&D Text Mining/Machine Learning

Averbis GmbH