Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com> on 2018/10/24 19:29:17 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] reasonable duration for tests in the Calcite codebase

I'm inclined to do something with LatticeTest (== mark it as disabled or
something like that)
It fails too often, and the only thing it does it tests HSQL (or H2?)
ability to perform join queries. It has nothing to do with Calcite.

Current LatticeTests definitely harms Calcite development and it makes
"Calcite-Master - Build # 944 - Still Failing" messages virtually useless.

Vladimir

Re: [DISCUSS] reasonable duration for tests in the Calcite codebase

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.
FWIW Beam has "pre-commit" and "post-commit" suites [1], with the latter
being quite a lot longer and including lots of integration tests with e.g.
cloud data processing engines and storage systems, so at least the tests
have a home. You get "quick" feedback on pull requests (let's ignore how
slow our pre-commit is...) and for things that take hours and you find out
in post-commit you can always roll back [2]. You can do a bit of
engineering with the Jenkins groovy DSL to make this not so painful to
administer [3].

Kenn

[1] https://builds.apache.org/view/A-D/view/Beam/
[2] https://beam.apache.org/contribute/postcommits-policies/