Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com> on 2008/05/21 10:08:08 UTC

[VOTE] Move from Beanshell to Groovy

This is a vote based on the recent discussion thread for changing the
OFBiz best practice tool for writing data preparation scripts from
using Beanshell to using Groovy, and more generally making Groovy the
standard scripting language wherever generic scripting is needed, even
as a way to implement services (as a secondary best practice to using
simple-methods).

This sort of decision is perhaps not totally necessary to vote on, but
does have a big impact on the project and many people involved, so a
vote should help draw opinions and lead the community toward the best
decision possible.

Please vote:

[+1] Yes, replace Beanshell with Groovy
[+0] I'm not for, but I'm not against
[-1] No, stick to Beanshell and don't migrate toward Groovy

Many comments were brought up in the discussion thread, but addition
comments related to your vote are welcome. As per usual everyone is
welcome to vote and express opinions though only PMC votes are binding.

-David

Re: [VOTE] Move from Beanshell to Groovy

Posted by Luke Grose <lu...@permeance.com.au>.
+1

Posted by Rodrigo Lima <ac...@gmail.com>.
-1

Posted by Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de>.
David E Jones schrieb:

> This is a vote based on the recent discussion thread for changing the
> OFBiz best practice tool for writing data preparation scripts from using
> Beanshell to using Groovy, and more generally making Groovy the standard
> scripting language wherever generic scripting is needed, even as a way
> to implement services (as a secondary best practice to using
> simple-methods).

+1

Christian

Re: [VOTE] Move from Beanshell to Groovy

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
+1

Posted by Anil Patel <an...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
+1

Posted by Al Byers <by...@automationgroups.com>.
+1
-Al

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1

Jacopo

PS: I have also drafted out a migration script to rename files (.bsh -

Posted by Joe Eckard <jo...@redrocketcorp.com>.
+1

Posted by Ashish Vijaywargiya <vi...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
Thanks & Regards
Ashish Vijaywargiya

Re: [VOTE] Move from Beanshell to Groovy

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ni...@neogia.org>.
+1

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
+1

Jacques

From: "David E Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>

Posted by Andrew Zeneski <an...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
+1

Posted by Ray Barlow <ra...@makeyour-point.com>.
+1

[VOTE RESULT] Move from Beanshell to Groovy

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
The vote has passed with the following results:

+1 binding: 8
+1 general: 9
-1 general: 1

It looks like there is already a Jira issue to get some conversions
going... so onward and upward!

I'll start working on the best practices guide and change it according
to this.

-David

Posted by Scott Gray <le...@gmail.com>.
+1