Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Neal D. Becker" <nb...@hns.com> on 2004/09/17 15:24:04 UTC

Howto setup

I've been searching for info, but I'm still confused.

I'm trying to setup subversion (1.0.6) on Fedora2 Linux.

I setup apache as instructed.  To do this, the subversion repos must be owned
by apache user, right, which is by default "apache".

So, how do I import my sources to the repos?  su  apache -c 'svn import...'
won't work, probably cause apache doesn't have a real shell.

I would think it would be best if the actual database was owned by some other
user/group such as 'svn'.

What do others do?

Re: Howto setup

Posted by Chris Beck <cb...@gene.concordia.ca>.
Make the group owner the same as apache's group (often nobody or nogroup, check
your httpd.conf)
Then make the repository rwX by the group.

It is whispered that Neal D. Becker was heard, on or about 09/17/04 11:24 to say:

--
Chris Beck / Y.A.B.A. / Fungal Genomics / Concordia University / tel. ext. 5791
Chaos.  Panic.  Confusion.  My work here is done.

Re: Howto setup

Posted by Martin Tomes <li...@tomes.org>.
Neal D. Becker wrote:
> I've been searching for info, but I'm still confused.
>
> I'm trying to setup subversion (1.0.6) on Fedora2 Linux.

This might help you:

http://www.subversionary.org/subversionary.cgi/ServerSetupFedoraCore2

--
Martin Tomes
echo 'martin at tomes x org x uk'\

The Subversion Wiki is at http://www.subversionary.org/

Re: Howto setup

Posted by "David F. Newman" <dn...@epnet.com>.
On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 11:24, Neal D. Becker wrote:
> I've been searching for info, but I'm still confused.
>
> I'm trying to setup subversion (1.0.6) on Fedora2 Linux.
>
> I setup apache as instructed.  To do this, the subversion repos must be owned
> by apache user, right, which is by default "apache".
>
> So, how do I import my sources to the repos?  su  apache -c 'svn import...'
> won't work, probably cause apache doesn't have a real shell.
>
> I would think it would be best if the actual database was owned by some other
> user/group such as 'svn'.

My repository is owned by svn:svn with umask of 007.  I added apache to
the svn group.  I added umask 007 to the top of apachectl.  And I added
g+s to the db subdirectory of the svn repository.

For importing I import to an http:// url.  Then apache is doing the
writing.

-Dave