Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Sim IJskes - QCG <si...@qcg.nl> on 2010/11/02 12:19:02 UTC

Re: svn commit: r1030001 - in /incubator/river/jtsk/skunk/Extra_SelfHealingProxy/src/org/apache/river/extra: discovery/ selfhealing/

On 02-11-10 12:06, thobbs@apache.org wrote:
> Author: thobbs
> Date: Tue Nov  2 11:06:43 2010
> New Revision: 1030001

> Log:
> Tidied up code for the self-healing proxy demonstration.  Plenty of javadocs as well.

Shall we integrate this in the trunk now?

Gr. Sim

Posted by Sim IJskes - QCG <si...@qcg.nl>.
On 02-11-10 13:49, Patricia Shanahan wrote:

> Do you think it will interfere with the javaspace and txnmanager
> categories?

No, dont thinks so.

> If not, I say let it run. It would be nice to get a completely clean
> run, but I don't want to delay development for that. The main thing is
> to see Hudson at least try the full set, and run clean (assuming I did
> my testing right) on the new categories.

You will get the results from Ubuntu as well as Solaris.

Gr. Sim

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
Sim IJskes - QCG wrote:
> On 02-11-10 13:43, Patricia Shanahan wrote:
>>> I've left a syntax error in
>>>
>>> qa/src/com/sun/jini/test/spec/loader/pref/requireDlPermProvider/loader.policy
>>>

>>> can you live with that for now? Or shall i fix and restart the jobs?
>>
>> Can Hudson live with it? Will it prevent a full run of the QA tests?
>
> No, but it will have at least 1 error.

Do you think it will interfere with the javaspace and txnmanager
categories?

If not, I say let it run. It would be nice to get a completely clean
run, but I don't want to delay development for that. The main thing is
to see Hudson at least try the full set, and run clean (assuming I did
my testing right) on the new categories.

Patricia

Posted by Sim IJskes - QCG <si...@qcg.nl>.

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Posted by Sim IJskes - QCG <si...@qcg.nl>.

Posted by Sim IJskes - QCG <si...@qcg.nl>.
On 02-11-10 13:01, Patricia Shanahan wrote:
> Yesterday, I checked in a qa/build.xml change that should increase by
> several hundred the number of tests in a full QA run. I've also checked
> in bug fixes that make those tests pass, at least on my computer. Can we
> hold off until there has been a clean Hudson run with the added tests?

OK, i've aborted the QA run. It was running with the permission
exception. I will restart the job, and hope we have no hanging processes.

Gr. Sim

Posted by Tom Hobbs <tv...@googlemail.com>.
On the one hand, this stuff is completely separate from the core River
code, so it's inclusion shouldn't have any effect on any of the stuff
you or anyone else has done recently.

On the other hand, I gone through enough stress in the past trying to
work out why something failed when something unrelated "shouldn't have
[had] any effect" on the task in hand.  :-)

So, I'm happy to wait on moving it into the trunk until the build has
settled down.

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
Sim IJskes - QCG wrote:
> On 11/02/2010 06:49 PM, Sim IJskes - QCG wrote:
>> Thats why i'm committing my changes.
>
> But then again, committing while downstream email is down, looks like
> unwise. I'll hold.

E-mail seems to be working - at least, I saw your messages - so go ahead.

Patricia

Posted by Sim IJskes - QCG <si...@qcg.nl>.

Posted by Sim IJskes - QCG <si...@qcg.nl>.
> I'd like a short delay before the next significant surgery on the trunk.

I've thought long and hard about this.

1) when the build fails, some stability could aid the fixing, but then,
you cannot hold off changes to the trunk until you have fixed it.
Reproducing the failure can be done on your own workstation, or if
facilities are not enough in an extra hudson jobs, by checking out a
specific release. If this is needed i will help you.

2) when the build succeeds, everything is ok.

The builds currently underway will not be changed/influenced by changes
in the svn.

Modifications of files to me look like minor surgery.

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Posted by Sim IJskes - QCG <si...@qcg.nl>.
On 02-11-10 12:22, Tom Hobbs wrote:
> I'd like to give people a chance to pass their eye over it first.  It
> is just a reference implementation/example of how to do a certain
> thing.  I doubt that the code is bullet proof.

If there is something wrong with it, people can file a jira for it.

The selfhealingproxy is in the extra section, and there are not a lot of
river parts depending on it, so my stake would be: commit it.

> Like I said in a different message, I still think it's belongs in the
> trunk eventually though.  I'm happy to do the SVN-moving as well; as
> long as people are prepared to forgive my inevitable SVN
> fat-fingering.

I've prepared src-extra/org/apache/river/extra/selfhealing/ for it, so
if you can move it there, that would be nice.

Then it will also be picked up by the build script in trunk, and put in
the extra.jar

It was my intention to have it build in a jar that could optionally be
added to river. That means in the order of dependencies built somewhat
later than the other river.jars.

Gr. Sim

Posted by Tom Hobbs <tv...@googlemail.com>.