Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com> on 2009/01/06 21:51:50 UTC

Announcements without Release Notes

Hello,

General announcement question I have.  I like getting announcement@jakarta emails, as it allows me to passively keep abreast of new releases.  What I like even more is when announcements have a link to release notes of some kind, so I can have a look at and quickly get an idea about the project's direction, velocity, focus, maturity, etc. without being intimately familiar with the project.

For example, I just got an email about Mailet 2.4 release, but there was no link to release notes or a JIRA link that might show what was done between 2.3 and 2.4.  I couldn't find any information on the site either.  So, my questions are:
Maybe I just don't know where to look?
Am I the only one who would love to see projects' release notes?
Is there an easy way to get projects to include this type of information in releases and make it easily accessible (i.e. don't require me to download, unpackage, and look for a specific file)

Here is a Lucene example:
  http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/index.html#8+October+2008+-+Lucene+Java+2.4.0+available

With even more detail here:
  http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_4_0/changes/Changes.html
(hm, now I wonder if it would be useful for other projects to copy this functionality)

Otis

Re: Announcements without Release Notes

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <ki...@terra-intl.com>.
Why don't you see http://www.apachenews.org/ ??

For example, the "Mailet 2.4 release" news is here:
http://www.apachenews.org/archives/001213.html

Information from DOAP files are included, so more
useful than the announcement (e-mail) itself.

Sincerely,

Tetsuya Kitahata

P.S. Lucene 2.4.0 release news you mentioned were put here:
http://www.apachenews.org/archives/001193.html

----

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Tue, 2009-01-06 at 12:51 -0800, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
> Hello,
>
> General announcement question I have.  I like getting announcement@jakarta emails, as it allows me to passively keep abreast of new releases.
> What I like even more is when announcements have a link to release notes of some kind, so I can have a look at
> and quickly get an idea about the project's direction, velocity, focus, maturity, etc. without being intimately familiar with the project.
>
> For example, I just got an email about Mailet 2.4 release, but there was no link to release notes or a JIRA link that might show what was done between 2.3 and 2.4.  I couldn't find any information on the site either.  So, my questions are:
> Maybe I just don't know where to look?

in this case there weren't any substantial changes between 2.3 and 2.4:
2.4 is just a release independent of the server.

but i agree about this point in general and i will try to include more
information in future.

- robert

(who hopes no one remembers that he wrote quite a lot of the release
documentation@jakarta)

Re: Announcements without Release Notes

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Thomas Vandahl wrote:
> Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
>> For example, I just got an email about Mailet 2.4 release, but there was no link to release notes or a JIRA link that might show what was done between 2.3 and 2.4.  I couldn't find any information on the site either.  So, my questions are:
>> Maybe I just don't know where to look?
>> Am I the only one who would love to see projects' release notes?
>> Is there an easy way to get projects to include this type of information in releases and make it easily accessible (i.e. don't require me to download, unpackage, and look for a specific file)
>
> There used to be a maven-announcement-plugin which created a nice
> announcement including all the news from your changes.xml. Dunno about
> maven2.

This is handled by the Changes Plugin in Maven 2:

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-changes-plugin/

> For an example look here:
>
> http://markmail.org/message/goecp6jy3llbxv6a
>
> HTH
>
> Bye, Thomas.

Dennis Lundberg

Re: Announcements without Release Notes

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.
Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
> For example, I just got an email about Mailet 2.4 release, but there was no link to release notes or a JIRA link that might show what was done between 2.3 and 2.4.  I couldn't find any information on the site either.  So, my questions are:
> Maybe I just don't know where to look?
> Am I the only one who would love to see projects' release notes?
> Is there an easy way to get projects to include this type of information in releases and make it easily accessible (i.e. don't require me to download, unpackage, and look for a specific file)

There used to be a maven-announcement-plugin which created a nice
announcement including all the news from your changes.xml. Dunno about
maven2. For an example look here:

Posted by te...@apache.org.

Posted by Gary Gregory <GG...@seagullsoftware.com>.
+1 to linking to release notes. That's first thing I like to find out about a new release: what's new!

Gary