Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> on 2003/09/07 03:00:33 UTC

[collections] Email addresses in Source code or Maven project xml

At present [collections] has a mixture of email addresses. Some people have
their email address by the code in the java file, some don't.

I recently extracted all email addresses and names to the maven project xml
file, applying a minimum anti spam tactic.

But what should we do in general? And how much does this matter?

Email addresses in project.xml - Yes/No?
I prefer yes.

Email addresses in code - Keep/Remove?
I prefer remove.

Opinions?

Stephen

Re: [collections] Email addresses in Source code or Maven project xml

Posted by __matthewHawthorne <mh...@alumni.pitt.edu>.
I agree, +1 to emails in project.xml and -1 to emails in code.  Mainly
due to spam considerations, I think it's a better idea to keep the
emails in one place, in case we need to obfuscate them (person AT apache
DOT org), or something like that.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.
Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> At present [collections] has a mixture of email addresses. Some people have
> their email address by the code in the java file, some don't.
>
> I recently extracted all email addresses and names to the maven project xml
> file, applying a minimum anti spam tactic.

I recently did the same thing for [lang], but left out the email
addresses entirely. I know that [lang] and [collections] could decide to
do things differently, but it would be nice to have a Commons-level
policy on this.

Personally, I don't really see the point in having email addresses in
either place, unless people positively want to be contacted individually
(and hence run the risk of attracting spam). Given that all discussion
is supposed to happen on the lists, I don't see why people would
normally want/need to contact authors/contributors directly.  On the
other hand, I can imagine some scenarios where people might want to
include their email addresses, and I can also imagine some scenarios
where contacting original authors who are no longer monitoring the dev
list would be useful, so most likely the ideal scenario would be to let
the individuals decide. This would be a PITA to maintain manually, but
it would allow people to choose.

So...if we have to choose a global policy, I would lean toward the
conservative approach of omitting in both places (no/no); but I would be
+0 for your proposal (yes/no).  Somehow, however, I keep coming back to
the view that the decision really belongs to the contributor.

Phil