Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by pa...@aecom.yu.edu on 2005/11/21 19:01:58 UTC

RE: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.54: Load order of dynamic and static modules

To share my "load order" trials & errors, at least on OS-X 10.3.9 w/
apache 2.0.54, configured with built in ldap, & mod_auth_mysql version 3
from sourceforge not only is the following load order necessary but the
order of the directory directives which call these modules are equally
important:

mod_access.so
mod_auth_mysql.so
mod_auth.so
mod_ldap.so
mod_auth_ldap.so

To protect a realm with a "fail-through" from ladp to mysql:
<directory /ldap_then_mysql_secured>
blah blah blah
mod_auth_ldap directives
AuthLDAPAuthoritative off
require valid user
mod_auth_mysql directives
AuthLDAPAuthoritative on
require group students
</directory>

To protect a realm with ldap alone:
</directory /ldap_secured>
blah blah blah
mod_auth_mysql directives
AuthMySQLEnable off [IMPORTANT]
require group instructors
mod_auth_ldap directives
AuthLDAPAuthoritative on
require valid-user
</directory>

To protect a mysql realm:
<directory /mysql_secured>
blah blah blah
mod_auth_mysql directives
AuthMySQLAuthoritative on
require group parents
</directory>

The realm protected by mysql alone is pretty straight forward. However,
the realm protected by ldap alone took lots of experimenting to derive. It
appears that the realm needs a "place holder" containing mod_auth_mysql
directives.
Note the realm protected by ldap followed by mysql. If I wanted to first
protect with mysql then by ldap I would have to change the module load
order.

As mentioned several times before in the group, module load order is for
the most part unimportant in apache2 except for a few [those which i need
to use :)]. I worked out the above guided by setting the error level to
debug in httpd.conf.

-bill