Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Rony G. Flatscher" <Ro...@wu.ac.at> on 2021/10/03 13:12:16 UTC

How to get debug information (Java, oxt)

Searched on the Internet but found no pointers so asking here.

Problem: something goes wrong while registering a Java based extension (an oxt ), but no information
is supplied.

Question: how to get debug (logging) information from a Java based extension? Maybe with a Java
stacktrace?

---rony

P.S.: Could find the cause in the oxt, but this was really quite time consuming (and therefore
effortful). Some new Java code caused a Runtime exception such that the registering of the oxt could
not conclude; it would have helped a lot, if the Runtime exception was supplied rather an empty
message was given (using unopkg from the commandline).

Re: How to get debug information (Java, oxt)

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
Hi Rony,

Am 06.06.22 um 16:07 schrieb Rony G. Flatscher (Apache):
> Hi Peter,
>
> thank you very  much for coming back to this!

A pleasure.

<snip>

> If you would be aware of such examples I would be grateful for any links.

I am sorry. I have no clue. I wanted to get the discussion started, and
just did a classic consultant Bullshit bingo move.

Which sometimes helps to get on the road to the real solution. So I
hoped it worked by catching Carls attention.

However I will have look when I find time. Maybe I come back to this
once I started with my "getting rid of the assembler code" - project :-D

> Again, thank you very much for taking time for this!

you are welcome.

All the best

Peter

Posted by "Rony G. Flatscher (Apache)" <ro...@apache.org>.
Hi Peter,

thank you very  much for coming back to this!

I do not have the SDK installed. Unfortunately, the exact details have escaped me since (having done
too many other things in between).

Background: many, many years ago I have authored a bridge for the scripting language ooRexx taking
advantage of the AOO scripting framework which is Java based. Basically I copied the BeanShell
engine (editor and dispatching the scripts) and adjusted it for ooRexx (is C++ but there is a Java
bridge). The packaging was done copying some other samples, but could get it done only after
receiving help from some developers back then who knew about the uno packaging process and what the
xml configuration files need to contain. (Also, I reverse-engineered the file layout for scripting
language scripts in order to place ooRexx samples there.)

So my problem in essence is lack of knowledge of how to properly debug Java code in this context
when the Java exceptions are not carried over and displayed. Also, I have no real working knowledge
of how one could/should go about configuring uno packages.

It would be of great help if there was (and maybe there is, yet, not found so far) a minimal, but
working ("nutshell") Java example that would demonstrate and briefly explain how to create an uno
package in Java, being able to deploy it (maybe with a method/function that returns "hello, world
from a Java uno extension") and explaining the minimal configuration definitions.

Posted by "Rony G. Flatscher (Apache)" <ro...@apache.org>.
Hi Carl,

On 6/7/2022 12:07 AM, Carl Marcum wrote:
> Hi Rony,
>
> On 6/6/22 10:15 AM, Rony G. Flatscher (Apache) wrote:
>> Hi Carl,
>>
>> On 6/4/2022 3:31 PM, Carl Marcum wrote:
>> ... cut ...

>>> So the error is during unopkg and not when using the installed extension correct?
>> Yes.
>>> For runtime errors on Linux I start the office from the command line and you can println output
>>> to it from the extension.
>>
>> Thank you very much for this hint!
>>
>>> Are you using the --verbose option when using unopkg from the command line?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> As mentioned in the other reply, one of my problems is that in order to quickly get (re-)adjusted
>> to this infrastructure (being away because of other efforts for quite some time in between
>> activities) I would need some short, functional examples (like a nutshell extension in Java with
>> proper packaging to become able to experiment with both, the Java code and the packaging, hoping
>> to develop a conceptual model by doing so). It may be the case that these samples exist, but that
>> I have not found them. So any hint or link to such (Java) nutshell examples would be great as
>> they probably help a lot getting afloat quickly.
>
> It might be a larger example that what you're looking for but take a look at my openoffice-groovy
> project [1] that adds Apache Groovy as a macro language.
> There is also an OXT on the extensions site [2].

Thank you very much, indeed!

As a matter of fact, like yourself I used the BeanShell example to add ooRexx as a macro extension.
Nevertheless I will look into it (in the middle of July when things have settled down a little bit
around here), as I might learn how to install the macros in share and user space (doing this
"manually" currently).

[On the side: my premiere platform for this has been AOO, but because of the students I have been
also trying to allow for using ooRexx as a macro language also for LO. It seems that LO has changed
too much to allow that to be still the case, which is awkward. Short of time I am not able to pursue
that, as the platform defining OO is AOO only.]

> If you would rather have an basic stripped down extension example I can generate you one from my
> templates or guide you in setting up so you can generate your own addons and addins.
>
> [1] https://github.com/cbmarcum/openoffice-groovy
> [2] https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/groovy-scripting-openoffice

That is *very* kind of you and I would like to pick up your offer about samples that would
show/demonstrate/guide to become able to create/generate also own addons and addins in ooRexx (this
is something I have been thinking of for quite some time)!

Probably only a brief sample/pattern for an addon and an addin and what the relevant definitions
would be terrific (especially what has to be taken into account for registering) and maybe where to
find the relevant documentation!

Groovy and/or Java would be more than fine!

Best regards

---rony

Re: How to get debug information (Java, oxt)

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi Rony,

On 6/6/22 10:15 AM, Rony G. Flatscher (Apache) wrote:
> Hi Carl,
>
> On 6/4/2022 3:31 PM, Carl Marcum wrote:
> ... cut ...

>> So the error is during unopkg and not when using the installed
>> extension correct?
> Yes.
>> For runtime errors on Linux I start the office from the command line
>> and you can println output to it from the extension.
>
> Thank you very much for this hint!
>
>> Are you using the --verbose option when using unopkg from the command
>> line?
>
> Yes.
>
> As mentioned in the other reply, one of my problems is that in order
> to quickly get (re-)adjusted to this infrastructure (being away
> because of other efforts for quite some time in between activities) I
> would need some short, functional examples (like a nutshell extension
> in Java with proper packaging to become able to experiment with both,
> the Java code and the packaging, hoping to develop a conceptual model
> by doing so). It may be the case that these samples exist, but that I
> have not found them. So any hint or link to such (Java) nutshell
> examples would be great as they probably help a lot getting afloat
> quickly.

It might be a larger example that what you're looking for but take a
look at my openoffice-groovy project [1] that adds Apache Groovy as a
macro language.
There is also an OXT on the extensions site [2].

If you would rather have an basic stripped down extension example I can
generate you one from my templates or guide you in setting up so you can
generate your own addons and addins.

[1] https://github.com/cbmarcum/openoffice-groovy
[2] https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/groovy-scripting-openoffice

Best regards,
Carl

Posted by "Rony G. Flatscher (Apache)" <ro...@apache.org>.
Hi Carl,

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi Rony,

On 6/4/22 1:40 AM, Peter Kovacs wrote:
> I going through old emails and no one seems to answer you.
>
> Can you describe your setup? OS, have you sdk installed?
>

> All the best
>
> Peter
>
> Am 03.10.21 um 15:12 schrieb Rony G. Flatscher:
>> Searched on the Internet but found no pointers so asking here.
>>
>> Problem: something goes wrong while registering a Java based
>> extension (an oxt ), but no information
>> is supplied.
>>
>> Question: how to get debug (logging) information from a Java based
>> extension? Maybe with a Java
>> stacktrace?
>>
>> ---rony
>>
>> P.S.: Could find the cause in the oxt, but this was really quite time
>> consuming (and therefore
>> effortful). Some new Java code caused a Runtime exception such that
>> the registering of the oxt could
>> not conclude; it would have helped a lot, if the Runtime exception
>> was supplied rather an empty
>> message was given (using unopkg from the commandline).

So the error is during unopkg and not when using the installed extension
correct?

For runtime errors on Linux I start the office from the command line and
you can println output to it from the extension.

Are you using the --verbose option when using unopkg from the command line?

Thanks,
Carl

Re: How to get debug information (Java, oxt)

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.