Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Ronald I. Nutter" <ro...@georgetowncollege.edu> on 2004/08/26 15:58:31 UTC

How much is enough ?

I have SA running with Postfix running with Amavisd and Razor.  In the
short time (a little over a day) that we have had this running, we have
noticed a dramatic reduction in spam with the default settings specified
in the Scott Henderson setup document we used.  Are there any other
databases/addons that would be suggested to use ?  I don't want to
over engineer it but want to do the best job possible at blocking spam.

Thanks to all those that helped with all my questions on getting things
up and running.

Ron

Ron Nutter                          ron_nutter@georgetowncollege.edu
Network Manager
Information Technology Services                        (502)863-7002
Georgetown College
Georgetown, KY                                            40324-1696

Re: How much is enough ?

Posted by Cirelle Enterprises <gc...@cirelle.com>.
Posted by "Scot L. Harris" <we...@cfl.rr.com>.
On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 14:22, Marc Kool wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> my 2 cts:
> - greylisting by the MTA blocks 35% of the spam (I use postfix+postgrey)
> - "sender address verification" by the MTA blocks 20% of the spam (I use
>   postfix with reject_unverified_sender option).
> - as stated by others: surbl and SARE rules help a lot.
>
> I consider this question a FAQ but I do not see it in the official FAQ,
> so maybe some kind person who knows how to update the wiki (never done that),
> could add it.
>
> -Marc

I'm surprised that greylisting is only blocking 35% of your spam.  I
have found it to be more like 98 to 99% effective by itself. We went
from 3000 to 6000 spam messages a day down to 5 to 10.  This is using
milter-greylist with sendmail and a very short delay timeout of a few
minutes.

Spamassassin picks up the remainder very easily.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@cfl.rr.com

Charlie Brown:	Why was I put on this earth?
Linus:		To make others happy.
Charlie Brown:	Why were others put on this earth?

Re: How much is enough ?

Posted by Marc Kool <M....@vioro.nl>.
Hi all,

--

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Marc Kool
Vioro Consultancy

Re: How much is enough ?

Posted by Andy <st...@macnews.de>.

Re: How much is enough ?

Posted by Rakesh <ra...@netcore.co.in>.
Use SURBL checks with SA, thts the best in catching spams. My life
became beautiful after implementing that.

Rakesh

Ronald I. Nutter wrote:

>I have SA running with Postfix running with Amavisd and Razor.  In the
>short time (a little over a day) that we have had this running, we have
>noticed a dramatic reduction in spam with the default settings specified
>in the Scott Henderson setup document we used.  Are there any other
>databases/addons that would be suggested to use ?  I don't want to
>over engineer it but want to do the best job possible at blocking spam.
>
>Thanks to all those that helped with all my questions on getting things
>up and running.
>
>Ron

>Ron Nutter                          ron_nutter@georgetowncollege.edu
>Network Manager
>Information Technology Services                        (502)863-7002
>Georgetown College
>Georgetown, KY                                            40324-1696

Netcore seeks Explorers, Inventors, Builders and Marketers
http://www.emergic.org/nc-opps.html