Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Juan Rivera <Ju...@citrix.com> on 2002/11/27 16:19:05 UTC

Request for comments: Managing max connections per protocol

One of the missing pieces in Apache 2 to support multiple protocols is the
ability to limit the number of connections per protocol.

Right now you specify the max number of connections but there is no way to
manage how many connections a particular protocol can manage.

Anyways, the problem seems like that by the time the protocol handler
decides it will process the request, it is too late for the core to do
anything.

Now, if we add an extra optional hook to the protocol handlers that manages
the max connections for the protocol bypassing the core functionality. It
will be up to the protocol handler to write the code that enforces a maximum
number of connections.

I though that the core could do that if the extra hook just tells the core
that the module will manage the request. The problem I see with this
approach is that if protocol handlers need some complex way to manage how
many concurrent connections are handled, this model will not satisfy that.

Comments?

  _____

Juan C. Rivera

Citrix Systems, Inc