Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Joost de Heer <jo...@sanguis.xs4all.nl> on 2006/06/17 09:24:31 UTC

Question about NameVirtualHost

Hello,

Should a check be added to add_name_vhost_config() to see if it's a
duplicate NameVirtualHost? At the moment, you can have multiple
'NameVirtualHost *:80', which will result in an odd message
'NameVirtualHost *:80 has no virtualhosts'.

Joost

Re: Question about NameVirtualHost

Posted by Joost de Heer <jo...@sanguis.xs4all.nl>.
Paul Querna wrote:
> Joost de Heer wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Should a check be added to add_name_vhost_config() to see if it's a
>> duplicate NameVirtualHost? At the moment, you can have multiple
>> 'NameVirtualHost *:80', which will result in an odd message
>> 'NameVirtualHost *:80 has no virtualhosts'.
>
> I think its reasonable to check.
>
> What should it do, throw an error (seems reasonable) or silently drop
> the second occurrence :) ?

I'd prefer an unsilent info-drop (something like 'Duplicate
NameVirtualHost in [configfile]:[line] ignored' on INFO level?), since
it's really just a silly configuration, not an error (things will work
with duplicate NVH's, even if you don't drop it, or at least, that's how
I can see it atm).

Posted by Paul Querna <ch...@force-elite.com>.
Joost de Heer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Should a check be added to add_name_vhost_config() to see if it's a
> duplicate NameVirtualHost? At the moment, you can have multiple
> 'NameVirtualHost *:80', which will result in an odd message
> 'NameVirtualHost *:80 has no virtualhosts'.

I think its reasonable to check.

What should it do, throw an error (seems reasonable) or silently drop
the second occurrence :) ?

I vote for throwing an error.

-Paul