Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by "Lipov, Felix" <Fe...@morganstanley.com> on 2005/03/02 18:00:14 UTC

Use Case

The following is my use case. I am trying to understand whether slide
might be a good approach for the following situation:

I am generating reports dynamically. Requests come in from one place
(user a) and the generated reports are picked up by a different set of
users (user b). I want to automatically get the request from user a,
generate the report and then let user b get the generated report and do
whatever they do. In the process of saving the report I want to be able
to keep it manageable so that user b can find the generated file. I
encode a bunch of information that user a provided in the filename of
the application, but I would best like to have rich metadata that I can
search on. In addition I want it to be easy to keep this on a file
system which can then be easy backed up to say DVD.

I considered using a pure database approach, but decided it would be too
much work creating an interface for user b to access the files and it
would be too much work to then make the backup.
I am considering a pure file system approach, but then I can't use
WebDAV's ability to add random metadata tags to my files which can then
be used by user b to find old reports. It's simple and easy though.
But I don't want to something that will only complicate matters without
a good deal of simplification.

What do you people think? I would appreciate any advise, or if you see
an even better solution of the options presented.

Felix
**** Important Notice to Recipients ****
It is important that you do not use e-mail to request, authorize or effect the purchase or sale of any security or commodity, to send fund transfer instructions, or to effect any other transactions. Any such request, orders, or instructions that you send will not be accepted and will not be processed by Morgan Stanley.