Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org> on 2005/03/27 00:42:01 UTC

state of the XUL menu

we should decide what we want to do with the XUL menu in trunk. it is
unfinished (no integration with workflow) at this time.

while it is an interesting piece of technology that could showcase new
UI possibilities, it currently does not. for it to be a technology
showcase, it would have to integrate tightly with the browser, like for
instance http://www.faser.net/mab/chrome/content/mab.xul

with 1.4 coming into sight, i would recommend it's removal (or move it
to the sandbox as a patch)

WDYT?

Re: state of the XUL menu

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> Michael Wechner wrote:
>
>> Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
>>
>>> we should decide what we want to do with the XUL menu in trunk. it
>>> is unfinished (no integration with workflow) at this time.
>>

>> do you mean the status information or making the menu items grey if
>> not accessible?
>

> both.

ok

>>> while it is an interesting piece of technology that could showcase
>>> new UI possibilities, it currently does not.
>>

>> it does show new UI possibilities
>

> like what?

it's XUL, that's already a huge step

> it is a far cry from the example i posted.

your example is about searching Amazon and not about CMS.
Let's not compare apple with oranges

> i would not call that 'showing new UI possibilities'.

hm? One step after the other, right?

As said before we can very easily disable it in case it's
not ready for a release. But why getting rid of it?

I really don't understand your behaviour ....

Michi

Michael Wechner

Re: state of the XUL menu

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Michael Wechner wrote:
> Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
>
>> we should decide what we want to do with the XUL menu in trunk. it is
>> unfinished (no integration with workflow) at this time.
>
> do you mean the status information or making the menu items grey if not
> accessible?

both.

>> while it is an interesting piece of technology that could showcase new
>> UI possibilities, it currently does not.
>
> it does show new UI possibilities

like what? it is a far cry from the example i posted. i would not call
that 'showing new UI possibilities'.

Re: state of the XUL menu

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> we should decide what we want to do with the XUL menu in trunk. it is
> unfinished (no integration with workflow) at this time.

do you mean the status information or making the menu items grey if not
accessible?

> while it is an interesting piece of technology that could showcase new
> UI possibilities, it currently does not.

it does show new UI possibilities

> for it to be a technology showcase, it would have to integrate tightly
> with the browser, like for instance
> http://www.faser.net/mab/chrome/content/mab.xul

it's XUL, so it is tightly integrated, whereas it's not XPI (XUL
application)
but we never discussed that anyway yet

> with 1.4 coming into sight, i would recommend it's removal

-1

It's nearly finished and just a few missing pieces need to be added.

If it's not ready until 1.4 can be shipped (whereas I don't see this
right now
at all), then one can disable it very quickly by adding

<map:when test="mozilla5DISABLED">

into the corresponding sitemaps. IIRC then you enabled it yourself after
a discussion
we had some time ago. I would suggest that we try to stay a bit
continuous about
decissions and not jump around from one thing to the other.

Michi

Michael Wechner