Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by ma...@yahoo.com on 2011/11/08 22:24:50 UTC

Mahout session at hadoop world 2011

Team
I saw a presentation on Mahout at hadoop world NY. The room was filled up. Lot of interest from attendees.
Most questions were on basics. However there were some interest to see more Mahout algos enabled for mapreduce mode.
Good to see more interest in Mahout!

Re: Mahout session at hadoop world 2011

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Bummer that I couldn't be there.  I am in town, but had to meet with
customers during all the talks.

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.
On 08.11.2011 manjunaths@yahoo.com wrote:
> I saw a presentation on Mahout at hadoop world NY. The room was filled up.
> Lot of interest from attendees. Most questions were on basics. However
> there were some interest to see more Mahout algos enabled for mapreduce
> mode. Good to see more interest in Mahout!

Thanks so much for providing that summary after attending the presentation.
Always great to get the feedback given after conference presentations back to
the Mahout mailinglist.

Can you elaborate a bit on which types of problem settings people need mapreduce
based solutions for? There are some algorithms that are just not very well
suited for mapreduce - but then again there are frameworks like giraph that look
pretty interesting - in addition several applications really benefit most from
mapreduce based data pre-processing and feature extraction.

Isabel