Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Ejaz Asghar <ej...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/14 20:55:27 UTC

Flex as a Mobile Framework

Hi, I'm a flex designer & developer and I'm now a days developing mobile
apps with Flex. Before i start my story, I'd like to share my experience
with other components
1- Feathers UI, Feather is good for games, but when it comes to apps,
Feathers is not what we need, especially when it is not available on
playbook and BB10 will always stay behind Stage3D based improvements
2- MadComponents (One man army rich component set with no updated
documentation/examples like Feathers UI have and most importantly there are
very missing features, a proper skinning support for multidensity apps !)
3- Flex, a matured framework with a great community, already available
important sets of mobile components, great documentation and examples and
Flex is great for business /data driven apps (free from STag3D)

Even though our recent app which uses completely skinned UI (bitmaps) works
great on iOS (almost feel native) but it lags on various places (including
animation/list scrolling) on Android. It works great on BB playbook too.

I'm following the apache community since its start, and still im unable to
see any commitment/improvements on the mobile side, Even i was the one who
listed 2-3 major bugs which proves that  (perhaps) we are the only one both
working and relaying heavily on Flex for Mobile for entertainment/business
apps.

I would like to know if you guys have any plans to improve Flex on Android
(fragmented market) and overall provide mobile features (components,
transitions, features etc) to Apache Flex?

We tried to move to Starling, but we aint building games neither our
business app requires FeathersUI because unlike Flex it is again driven by
1 person. On the other hand, flex fulfill our requirements and we want to
know if we can sit back and expect progress on mobile sides.

Thank you for listening :)

Re: Flex as a Mobile Framework

Posted by Carlos Velasco <ca...@gmail.com>.
If you have time take a look to the Uriana's Mobile Library. It may help in
your mobile developments:

https://www.assembla.com/spaces/uriana/wiki/Mobile_Library

An example of how to use Uriana:
https://www.assembla.com/spaces/uriana/wiki/Mobile_Application_Example

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 14, 2013 11:56 AM, "Ejaz Asghar" <ej...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I'm a flex designer & developer and I'm now a days developing mobile
> apps with Flex. Before i start my story, I'd like to share my experience
> with other components
> 1- Feathers UI, Feather is good for games, but when it comes to apps,
> Feathers is not what we need, especially when it is not available on
> playbook and BB10 will always stay behind Stage3D based improvements
> 2- MadComponents (One man army rich component set with no updated
> documentation/examples like Feathers UI have and most importantly there
are
> very missing features, a proper skinning support for multidensity apps !)
> 3- Flex, a matured framework with a great community, already available
> important sets of mobile components, great documentation and examples and
> Flex is great for business /data driven apps (free from STag3D)
>
> Even though our recent app which uses completely skinned UI (bitmaps)
works
> great on iOS (almost feel native) but it lags on various places (including
> animation/list scrolling) on Android. It works great on BB playbook too.
>
> I'm following the apache community since its start, and still im unable to
> see any commitment/improvements on the mobile side, Even i was the one who
> listed 2-3 major bugs which proves that  (perhaps) we are the only one
both
> working and relaying heavily on Flex for Mobile for entertainment/business
> apps.

I am working on multiple Flex mobile projects both at work and for personal
projects.  I am sure I will run into some of the bugs you have seen.

> I would like to know if you guys have any plans to improve Flex on Android
> (fragmented market) and overall provide mobile features (components,
> transitions, features etc) to Apache Flex?

I can't say that there are any formal plans,  but if you have any concrete
ideas please start a discussion and build momentum around them.  I am sure
that I and others here will be able to help out.

Around here, anyone with a good idea who is able to get stuff done and
generate interest in what they are doing will succeed.

> We tried to move to Starling, but we aint building games neither our
> business app requires FeathersUI because unlike Flex it is again driven by
> 1 person. On the other hand, flex fulfill our requirements and we want to
> know if we can sit back and expect progress on mobile sides.
>
> Thank you for listening :)

Thank you for writing your thoughts out.  Please don't get me wrong, but  I
doubt if anyone can sit back and expect progress to be made by someone
else.  Everyone scratches their own itches and if you want something strong
enough, you have to put some effort into it.  Again, building momentum by
raising specific issues and getting people to listen to you is key.

Thanks,
Om

Re: Flex as a Mobile Framework

Posted by Madhu Dutta <ia...@gmail.com>.
hi, some time when we are scrolling at that moment in mobile,the input text
is floating..mobile core file handling,,like flash lights, vibration,phone
book handling,call like independent android..there is some native library
is already there.. but can we handle from the flex? another thing we need
layer basic pdf generate from flex..

--
*Thanks & Regards*
*Madhusudan Dutta*