Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by James Sherwood <js...@romulin.com> on 2004/08/30 19:50:32 UTC

View the output stream from a component

I want to view the output stream to date from a component I create. Any
ideas how this is done?

Basically, I want to put a component at the end of the page, then when this
component is run, I want it to scan the entire page for a certian phrase.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,
James

Re: View the output stream from a component

Posted by James Sherwood <js...@romulin.com>.
Unfortunately I cannot use a filter due to certian restraints so I needed a
way to do it in tapestry.

Thanks for the help tho,

James

Posted by James Sherwood <js...@romulin.com>.
Problem solved for anyone that has a similar problem:)

I took the NestedHTMLWriter out of the tapestry jar and put it in my
project.
Added a setter and getter to the buffer.

Now in the new body component I created(just a copy of Body) I can
manipulate the buffer as I see fit:)

Thanks for the help leading me to this Erik!

nested = writer.getNestedWriter();

renderBody(nested, cycle);

*******************************
I can now get and set the buffer here before it is flushed to the parent on
close below,
manipulating it as I see fit
*******************************

// Write the script (i.e., just before the <body> tag).

// If an onLoad event handler was needed, its name is

// returned.

onLoadName = writeScript();

// Start the body tag.

writer.println();

writer.begin("body");

generateAttributes(writer, cycle);

if (onLoadName != null)

writer.attribute("onLoad", "javascript:" + onLoadName + "();");

// Close the nested writer, which dumps its buffered content

// into its parent.

nested.close();

writer.end(); // <body>

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

Posted by James Sherwood <js...@romulin.com>.
Thanks for the help, this is where I am:

I looked into the body and found

***************************************
nested = writer.getNestedWriter();

renderBody(nested, cycle);

// Write the script (i.e., just before the <body> tag).

// If an onLoad event handler was needed, its name is

// returned.

onLoadName = writeScript();

// Start the body tag.

writer.println();

writer.begin("body");

generateAttributes(writer, cycle);

if (onLoadName != null)

writer.attribute("onLoad", "javascript:" + onLoadName + "();");

// Close the nested writer, which dumps its buffered content

// into its parent.

nested.close();

writer.end(); // <body>

***************************************

I know it flushes the nested to the parent writer with the nested.close();

The problem is, I cannot figure out how to see what it is flushing(if thats
possible).

I also looked into the renderBody() of AbstractComponent

***************************************
public void renderBody(IMarkupWriter writer, IRequestCycle cycle) throws
RequestCycleException

{

for (int i = 0; i < wrappedCount; i++)

wrapped[i].render(writer, cycle);

}

***************************************

The wall I ran into here is the .render(writer,cycle) just leads me to the
interface of IRender

It is overwridden in AbstractComponent but  it seems to just loop back to
the Body with
renderComponent(writer, cycle);

So I am lost again.

I also tried to look into the servlet by checking the doService and trying
to get the Whole page from the response but couldnt find anything there:(

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.