Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com> on 2017/05/12 17:45:37 UTC

Products/Components structure for JIRA

Hello NetBeans Apache Incubator community,

    in order to be prepared for switching NetBeans bug tracking from
Bugzilla to JIRA we need to have appropriate products and categories
created in JIRA.

    At the moment there are almost 600 combinations of products and
components in the NetBeans Bugzilla but plenty of them are no longer
used and are obsolete. That's why we have prepared a reduced list of
these with ~230 combinations which we consider valid. It is based on the
following criteria: the product/component was used in the past 6 months
and has at least 10 opened bugs. We also removed Oracle hosting specific
products like installers, qa, www etc. however any of these can be
re-added in the future if needed of course.

Please review the list and comment if you have a strong opinion.

Since NetCAT 9.0 program is scheduled to start in early June please
don't hesitate long with your feedback.

And finally, who has the knowledge/access to JIRA to create these
products/components there?

Thanks and enjoy your weekends!

-Jirka

Re: Products/Components structure for JIRA

Posted by Javier Ortiz <ja...@gmail.com>.
Components are used to segregate issues in JIRA. Labels can be shared
between projects/components.

Also components can be assigned to a team, labels can't.

Re: Products/Components structure for JIRA

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jirka,

Not know enough about products/components in JIRA, but could we not keep it simple and use labels?

So a defect could have at least 2 labels: 'apisupport' and 'API docs', or 'utilities' and ‘code’, etc?

Regards

John

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Not yet, will work on this by the end of this week.

Gj

AW: AW: Products/Components structure for JIRA

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
Thx, but why python? I thought that python is a 3rd Party plugin, not supported by NetBeans, like Perl, Ruby, Scala, etc.

Gesendet von Mail für Windows 10

Posted by Hermien Pellissier <mi...@gmail.com>.
> And here is the list of components together with their descriptions. Some
> are not very much descriptive so you can freely improve these if you know
> their meaning well.

Thank you!

~Hermien

Re: Products/Components structure for JIRA

Posted by Ross Lamont <rl...@componentcorp.com>.
> On 23 Jun 2017, at 8:25 pm, Hermien Pellissier <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Can we please add in xml-api as well? I’ve recently added in an improvement to Netbeans and I used xml-schema and xml-code as they seemed the best fit.
>
> I have created the component. :)

Thanks!

>> It’s probably not a priority, but can I suggest we establish a document which allows a developer posting a bug to map from the various apis to the JIRA components? Some of them will be non-obvious.  It could even be done in the JIRA component description.
>
> This is a very good idea! Some of the component descriptions do
> already contain package names, but I am sure that more can be added. I
> would suggest creating a wiki page where people can contribute their
> knowledge, and then we can transfer it to the component descriptions
> at some stage.

I have added some pages under “How to participate” with a list of all the directories in the NB source tree.

Unfortunately I don’t have the knowledge to map these to the correct JIRA components, and I’m conscious that I
may be making work for people who are already busy migrating stuff to Apache.  I will not be offended if you delete
or hide this page for a later date.  At the moment, without the JIRA components, it could be seen as worse than
useless.  On the other hand, if you want me to have a crack at mapping components - let me know and I’ll give it my best
shot.

Can I also suggest (again at the risk of making work for folks) that we establish some guidelines for those wanting
to contribute or maintain the wiki?

Posted by Hermien Pellissier <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ross,

Posted by Ross Lamont <rl...@componentcorp.com>.
Hi Hermien,

Can we please add in xml-api as well? I’ve recently added in an improvement to Netbeans and I used xml-schema and xml-code as they seemed the best fit.

It’s probably not a priority, but can I suggest we establish a document which allows a developer posting a bug to map from the various apis to the JIRA components? Some of them will be non-obvious.  It could even be done in the JIRA component description.

Cheers
Ross

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Great!

Gj

Posted by Hermien Pellissier <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Hermien Pellissier <mi...@gmail.com>.
> I think I can take care of this and send you the list of components
> descriptions. It will be most probably next week though.

Thanks! No rush - the components are there and can be used without the
descriptions for the moment.

Posted by Hermien Pellissier <mi...@gmail.com>.
>> All done. I was distracted a number of times, so I might have missed
>> one or two. But I have worked through the full list.
>
> Just checked and you got all of them Hermien, didn't miss a single one.

Awesome! :D Thanks for checking!

Posted by Hermien Pellissier <mi...@gmail.com>.
> Yes, really excellent, thanks a lot. I also added "platform - HTML4J", as
> requested by Jaroslav above, and "web - Oracle JET".

You're most welcome. And thanks for adding those additional two components!

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Yes, really excellent, thanks a lot. I also added "platform - HTML4J", as
requested by Jaroslav above, and "web - Oracle JET".

Thanks again,

Gj

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.

--
John

Re: AW: Products/Components structure for JIRA

Posted by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.

https://netbeans.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=apisupport

Posted by Hermien Pellissier <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
Do you mean These descriptions?

https://netbeans.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi Right behind the component.

Gesendet von Mail für Windows 10

All done. I was distracted a number of times, so I might have missed
one or two. But I have worked through the full list.

None of the components have descriptions. Were there descriptions in
Bugzilla? Do we want to keep those? And can they be exported?

~ Hermien

Re: Products/Components structure for JIRA

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Brilliant. :-)

Gj

Posted by Hermien Pellissier <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Great, so we have the go ahead for this.

Let's do it -- you'll notice it's very easy. Hermien is available for this
as indicated and I'll take a look tomorrow or so to see whether any are
missing or need to be added. Yes, everything is easy to edit.

By sometime during the weekend, at latest, we'll have all the components in
there -- again, I'll take a look in a day or so and see what's been done by
the other admins and then add anything I see missing.

Let's keep each other in the loop here on progress and status.

Gj

Posted by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com>.
Hi team,

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Hermien Pellissier <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Bertrand, many thanks.

Jiri and John, I have taken John's suggestion and, as a start, have created
four components:
apisupport - API docs
apisupport - Harness
apisupport - Maven
apisupport - Project

Please confirm that the above is what we want to do, then I'll add all the
other components in the same structure. Will wait to hear from Jiri before
continuing. (When you click "Create" on
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS, you'll see the above 4 in
the Components drop-down list.)

I'll also give permissions to Jirka, Hermien, John, and anyone else who,
after discussion, wants to be involved in the admin side of NetBeans JIRA.

Thanks,

Geertjan

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
I don't believe I have access to create components either, can someone
advise or a mentor assist with this, also how to get permissions for doing
this?

Thanks,

Geertjan

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Thanks a lot for this info.

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jiri,

[1]: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/importing-data-from-bugzilla-861253706.html#ImportingdatafromBugzilla-jirafieldtipsTipsforimportingBugzilladataintoJIRAfields <https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/importing-data-from-bugzilla-861253706.html#ImportingdatafromBugzilla-jirafieldtipsTipsforimportingBugzilladataintoJIRAfields>

Posted by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com>.
Any update on this?

Posted by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com>.

Re: Re: Products/Components structure for JIRA

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Cezariusz Marek <ce...@comarch.pl>.

[1] https://netbeans.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=256685