Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org> on 2017/03/15 08:29:36 UTC

Injectable LocaleProvider replaces with LocaleProviderFactory

Hi,

Another PR cleaning up a mess with injecting things ;)
https://github.com/apache/struts/pull/122

and what do you think about adding a dedicated artefact to keep all
those interfaces? strust2-api? And move all the APIs there maybe with
default implementations.

Another thing I would like to start using "Struts" prefix instead of
"Default" which is a bit meaningless :)

Regards
--
Łukasz
+ 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/

Re: Injectable LocaleProvider replaces with LocaleProviderFactory

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
> Keeping breaking changes in major releases is important. I recently took a
> project from 2.5.8 to 2.5.10.1 and had several compilation errors. Not a
> good surprise when attempting to get a security fix in quickly.

That would be awesome but it's hard if there are just few who test the
latest test build ;-) That being said, I'm going to extend a test
build period and instead of a week give a month for everyone to test
it, hope this allow reduce such problems.

And one important note: Struts doesn't follow the semantic versioning
pattern, 2 means Struts 2, 5 is the major number here, so 2.5.10 means
Struts 2 version 5.10 ;-)

Regards

Posted by Stefaan Dutry <sd...@apache.org>.
I agree with respecting major/minor versions concerning breaking changes.

I also encountered an unexpected problem with updating one of our projects
at work to 2.5.10.1 (from 2.5.1), which didn’t even cause a compilation
error.

In my case it was because of the introduction of a parameter object.
(Google recaptcha parameter contains ’-’ => required manual fetching inside
validator)

Regards,
Stefaan Dutry (sdutry)

Posted by Aaron Johnson <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christoph Nenning <Ch...@lex-com.net>.
> > I like those ideas!
> >
> > Currently it is a bit messy to figure out what can be customized or
used
> > by apps and what are struts internals. Having an explicit API would
clear
> > things up.
>
> Yeah, it should be a bit easier. The question is: do it now or wait
> till Struts 2.6?

I'd say it is too big for a minor version update -> let's put it in 2.6

Regards,
Christoph

Re: Injectable LocaleProvider replaces with LocaleProviderFactory

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christoph Nenning <Ch...@lex-com.net>.
I like those ideas!