Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Igor Bubkin <ig...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/01 09:19:34 UTC

How to speed up of Map/Reduce job?

Hello everybody

I have a problem. I installed Hadoop on 2-nodes cluster and run Wordcount
example. It takes about 20 sec for processing of 1,5MB text file. We want to
use Map/Reduce in real time (interactive: by user's requests). User can't
wait for his request 20 sec. This is too long. Is it possible to reduce time
of Map/Reduce job? Or may be I misunderstand something?

BR,
Igor Babkin, Mifors.com

RE: How to speed up of Map/Reduce job?

Posted by pr...@nokia.com.
Hi Igor,
I am not sure if Hadoop is designed for realtime requests. I have a feeling that you are trying to use Hadoop in a way that it isnot designed for. From my experience, Hadoop cluster will be much slower than "local" hadoop mode when processing smaller dataset, because there is always extra overhead of task and job management in cluster mode.

Praveen

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
On 01/02/11 08:19, Igor Bubkin wrote:
> Hello everybody
>
> I have a problem. I installed Hadoop on 2-nodes cluster and run Wordcount
> example. It takes about 20 sec for processing of 1,5MB text file. We want to
> use Map/Reduce in real time (interactive: by user's requests). User can't
> wait for his request 20 sec. This is too long. Is it possible to reduce time
> of Map/Reduce job? Or may be I misunderstand something?

1. I'd expect a minimum 30s query time due to the way work gets queued
and dispatched, JVM startup costs etc. There is no way to eliminate this
in Hadoop's current architecture.

2. 1.5M is a very small file size; I'm currently recommending a block
size of 512M in new clusters for various reasons. This size of data is
just too small to bother with distribution. Load it up into memory;
analyse it locally. Things like Apache CouchDB also support MapReduce.

Hadoop is not designed for clusters of less than about 10 machines (not
enough redundancy of storage), or for small datasets. If your problems
aren't big enough, use different tools, because Hadoop contains design
decisions and overheads that only make sense once your data is measured
in GB and your filesystem in tens to thousands of Terabytes.

Posted by li ping <li...@gmail.com>.
The Hadoop is designed for no-real time application.
But You can change the parameter to reduce the job execution time.

I search an article in Google.
Hope You can find some useful information on that.
http://www.slideshare.net/ImpetusInfo/ppt-on-advanced-hadoop-tuning-n-optimisation

--
-----李平

Re: How to speed up of Map/Reduce job?