Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/07/30 19:04:33 UTC

Do language packs have update notifications?

In OOo 3.3.0 we support Tamil with a language pack, but not a full
install.  In AOO 4.0 we provide a full install for Tamil, as well as a
language pack.

Are we able to notify 3.3.0 users of the Tamil language pack about the
update?  Is that something the update notification system can handle?
Or does it only handle updates to the base install?

-Rob

Re: Do language packs have update notifications?

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 30 July 2013 20:56, Marcus (OOo) <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:

> Am 07/30/2013 07:04 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
>
>> In OOo 3.3.0 we support Tamil with a language pack, but not a full
>> install.  In AOO 4.0 we provide a full install for Tamil, as well as a
>> language pack.
>>
>> Are we able to notify 3.3.0 users of the Tamil language pack about the
>> update?  Is that something the update notification system can handle?
>> Or does it only handle updates to the base install?
>>

> Good and important question but I don't know. Maybe Oliver can tell us
> more?

that would be nice, I am just in the process of splitting the language zip
files to find a version number. The language files are packed as
extensions, and I am just trying to find out how its ensured that they are
only used with the correct release. Maybe oliver or someelse can give a
hint on that too.

rgds
jan I.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 5:50 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
<or...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On 30.07.2013 19:04, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> In OOo 3.3.0 we support Tamil with a language pack, but not a full
>> install.  In AOO 4.0 we provide a full install for Tamil, as well as a
>> language pack.
>>
>> Are we able to notify 3.3.0 users of the Tamil language pack about the
>> update?  Is that something the update notification system can handle?
>> Or does it only handle updates to the base install?
>>

> As far as I know and have seen in my checks the update function in AOO/OOo
> only searches for new updates for the language of the full installation
> package.
> The language of the full installation package is found in the
> version.ini|vesionrc of the installation which is composed together with the
> application name and its version into the value of 'UpdateID' - e.g.
> UpdateID=OpenOffice_4_en-US for en-US full installation package of AOO 4.0

OK.  This should be OK.  If a 3.3.0 user was running base en-US (or
en-GB) with Tamil langpack, then they will get an upgrade notification
based on the new 4.0 English version.  But then the locale-detection
logic on /download/index.html will see that their browser locale is
Tamil and recommend the full Tamil install of 4.0.   So I think the
most common cases will work fine.

The odd exception would be if their 3.3.0 base was, say, Swedish.  In
that case they will not be notified about an upgrade (Swedish is not
in 4.0 yet) even though we do have a fill Tamil version.

Regards,

-Rob

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "O.Felka" <ol...@gmx.de>.
Am 30.07.2013 19:04, schrieb Rob Weir:
> In OOo 3.3.0 we support Tamil with a language pack, but not a full
> install.  In AOO 4.0 we provide a full install for Tamil, as well as a
> language pack.
>
> Are we able to notify 3.3.0 users of the Tamil language pack about the
> update?  Is that something the update notification system can handle?
> Or does it only handle updates to the base install?
>
> -Rob

AFAIR they don't have an update functionality.

Groetjes,
Olaf

Re: Do language packs have update notifications?

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.