Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Shitij Sethi <ss...@IN.rainbow.com> on 2003/06/20 15:36:51 UTC

[users@httpd] how can we use sniffer to verify http content from server is in c ompressed from

Hi All,

I have a small question:

I am using Apache and IIS to serve my pages. I enabled compression on both
IIS and apache. I used "Ethreal" for sniffing the contents received from
server on the client machine. I accessed a particular page and sniffed data
using ethreal when compression was enabled on Apache and then disabled
compression and accessed the same page. The page I accessed is a static text
page. I sniffed data in both the cases (compression enabled and disabled) I
could not make out whats the difference in both the cases.

Is there any way to determine that the data sent by the http server was
compressed by using a sniffer.

Thanks in advance.

Re: [users@httpd] how can we use sniffer to verify http content from server is in compressed from

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.
> I am using Apache and IIS to serve my pages. I enabled compression on both
> IIS and apache. I used "Ethreal" for sniffing the contents received from
> server on the client machine. I accessed a particular page and sniffed
data
> using ethreal when compression was enabled on Apache and then disabled
> compression and accessed the same page. The page I accessed is a static
text
> page. I sniffed data in both the cases (compression enabled and disabled)
> could not make out whats the difference in both the cases.
>
> Is there any way to determine that the data sent by the http server was
> compressed by using a sniffer.

Make sure you are using a large enough sample page.  The compress plugins
might be smart enough to realize that some pages will become larger with
compression enabled (because of a certain amount of overhead).  Using a page
that only has "test" in it won't help.  Try it with a HTML page that is at
least 10k in size.

Also, Ethereal might be intelligent and decode the compressed data?  You
could try using telnet to grab the HEAD of the page to see if it 1) lists
the module you are using to compress the page and 2) it is returning the
proper "this page is compressed" headers.

-Jacob