Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Bernard Landman <bl...@us.ibm.com> on 2002/06/14 22:54:16 UTC

Can't run JSP Samples on new Tomcat 4.0.3 install

Folks,

I installed Tomcat 4.0.3 yesterday on an RS/6000 box running AIX 4.3.3;
there is
an IBM HTTP Server already running on the box (it is Version 1.3.19 of IHS,
and is based on the Apache HTTP Server - presumably V1.3). I ran into some
port
conflicts when I tried to start tomcat so I "added" 10000 to all the port
numbers
in the conf file and then tomcat appeared to start and stop correctly.

I next tried to exercise the servlet and JSP samples and I found that all
the
servlet samples worked fine but none of the JSP samples worked at all. Each
JSP
sample produced an output similar to the following:

<quoted_output>

Apache Tomcat/4.0.3 - HTTP Status 500 - Internal Server Error

TYPE Exception report

MESSAGE Internal Server Error

DESCRIPTION The server encountered an internal error (Internal Server
Error) that
prevented it from fulfilling this request.

EXCEPTION

javax.servlet.ServletException: sun/tools/javac/Main
      at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:485)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.
internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:247)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.
doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
        .
        .
      at org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.
process(HttpProcessor.java(Compiled Code))
      at org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.
run(HttpProcessor.java(Compiled Code))
      at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:498)

ROOT CAUSE

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sun/tools/javac/Main
      at org.apache.jasper.compiler.SunJavaCompiler.
compile(SunJavaCompiler.java(Compiled Code))
      at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java(Compiled
Code))
      at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.loadJSP(JspServlet.java:552)
        .
        .
      at org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.
process(HttpProcessor.java(Compiled Code))
      at org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.
run(HttpProcessor.java(Compiled Code))
      at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:498)

</quoted_output>

Since I am not yet a member of the illuminati, I cannot qickly determine
what
I failed to install or configure properly - and so any help would be
appreciated.
Incidentally there was a similar problem reported on 06/12 by pasiar at 13:
50:43;
in that case it was on a Linux box and an HTTP 404 was emitted.

Thanks in advance.

Bernie Landman