Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Padraic Hannon <pi...@wasabicowboy.com> on 2007/08/16 03:09:20 UTC

jcr mapping question

We are using the repository pattern for our object retrieval
(http://www.martinfowler.com/eaaCatalog/repository.html) and I am trying
to migrate from a typical ORM system (toplink, hibernate, etc) backed by
an RDBMS to jackrabbit (actually CRX) using the jcr-mapping project.

It appears that for child object the jcr project does what I would
assume (NTCollectionConverterImpl) and stores the objects that haven't
already been stored. However, if one does not one a referenced object to
be a child but rather just a property with a reference then things start
to diverge from what I would assume would happen. Perhaps, the error is
in my modeling (entirely possible!), however, I would think that the
Reference converters for both beans and collections would do more than
just persist the UUIDs. Would it be horrible if these where updated to
persist the referenced object is a UUID is not present prior to
persisting the referenced object? Of course I think it should probably
update the referenced objects properties if the object already exists.
Does this make sense? It adds complexity, but it seems like that would
be the expected functionality.

-paddy

Re: jcr mapping question

Posted by Christophe Lombart <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Right now, I don't see strong use cases where it is interesting to store
"more" than the UUID with BeanReferenceCollectionConverterImpl &
ReferenceBeanConverterImpl. Is it not possible to have 2 steps : 1/ create
the referenceable object 2/ add the reference into another object ? If not,
keep your converter and we will see if others want to have the same
requirement. It is too early to modify thoses converters. I would like to
wait. You can also add a new Jira issue. By this way, others can vote on it.

br,
Christophe