Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Didier Trosset <di...@agilent.com> on 2009/08/03 07:25:41 UTC

svn commit stall before relinquish hand

Hello,

We are experiencing a stall when performing commit (not on other commands).
It happens both with subversion command line, and with Tortoise.

When committing a change, the cmd line output shows the commit is prepared,
then send to the server in normal times. But then, it takes 15 to 25 seconds
before the shell prompt shows up again. 'svn commit' is hanged for this
duration. There is no such delay on other operations: update, status or diff.

The commit is done on the server rather quickly: I receive the commit
message in my inbox no more than 1 or 2 seconds after running the commit,
way long before the svn commit command finishes! (And the post-commit hooks
only has to send this message.)

I also tried to Ctrl+C during this time. The result is my working copy is
not up to date with the files I just commited: it is still reported as (M)
and I can still get the diff, as if it has not being commited (but it is, as
reported on other working copies). I have to update (G) to get it right.

Tech info: Server is apache2 on HTTP with svn-1.5.1 (Debian 5.0, i386).
Clients svn-1.6 to svn-1.1 (old ppc!) and Tortoise.

All of this looks rather strange. As it is independent from the client, it
should be a server issue. But there's no error in apache logs, and the fact
that the commit emails shows-up very quickly make it look rather as a client
issue. I was wondering if our repository is too large (1350 directories,
18000 files, 650 MB) creating too large working copies (12200 directories,
52200 files, 1.4 GB) that are lengthy to update after a commit?

Thanks for any help.

Didier

--
Didier Trosset-Moreau