Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Jesse Glick <Je...@Sun.COM> on 2010/01/06 22:15:38 UTC

Re: svn commit: r894462 - in /ant/core/trunk: WHATSNEW docs/manual/CoreTypes/filterchain.html src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/filters/AppendToLines.java src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/types/FilterChain.java src/tests/antunit/filters/append-test.xml

bodewig@apache.org wrote:
> complement prefixlines with appendtolines

Wouldn't the analogous name be "suffixlines"?

Posted by Antoine Levy Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Dominique Devienne wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 1:57 PM, Dominique Devienne <dd...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 1:35 PM, Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com> wrote:
>>
>>> While you are undeniably technically right that suffixlines is a better
>>> match with prefixlines, which of the three sounds better and is going to be
>>> clearer to users: appendtolines, suffixlines, or postfix lines.
>>>
>> header/footer lines?
>> prolog/epilog lines?
>>

> head/tail lines?

I agree with Bruce that suffixlines is better as a companion to prefixlines.
header/footer and head/tail are "hors sujet" I think Dominique.
The appendtolines filter is appending something to each line rather than
adding lines at the end of a text.

I can live with appendtolines, but would not mind renaming it for the
1.8.0RC2.

Regads,

Antoine

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2010-01-09, Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com> wrote:

> Antoine Levy Lambert wrote:

>> Do we need a formal vote for this, or should someone just go ahead
>> and change the code/documentation/tests accordingly ?

> This hardly seems controversial enough for a vote. I haven't seen a
> single person take a position against suffixlines. I'd suggest the
> change just be made.

+1

Stefan

Re: AW: svn commit: r894462 - in /ant/core/trunk: WHATSNEW docs/manual/CoreTypes/filterchain.html src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/filters/AppendToLines.java src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/types/FilterChain.java src/tests/antunit/filters/append-test.xml

Posted by Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>.

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.
Let's just do it--Stefan is never attached to his names, and I agree
that suffix (or postfix) works better in this case.

-Matt

Posted by Antoine Levy Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de wrote:
> I would vote for SuffixLines as it sounds best matching to the already existing PrefixLines filter (to me).

Agreed,

Do we need a formal vote for this, or should someone just go ahead and
change the code/documentation/tests accordingly ?

Antoine
> Jan

AW: svn commit: r894462 - in /ant/core/trunk: WHATSNEW docs/manual/CoreTypes/filterchain.html src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/filters/AppendToLines.java src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/types/FilterChain.java src/tests/antunit/filters/append-test.xml

Posted by Ja...@rzf.fin-nrw.de.
We already have HeadFilter and TailFilter,
also we have PrefixLines.

I would vote for SuffixLines as it sounds best matching to the already existing PrefixLines filter (to me).

For me the terms (h)eader/(f)ooter/(p)rolog/(e)pilog/suffix(sx)/prefix(px) have a kind of "directional meaning":
* header and prolog is a paragraph before the current position - it is up to the current position
* prefix is left of the current position
* suffix is right of the current position
* footer and epilog are paragraphs after the current position - buttom to the current position

+-------------------+
|        h,p        |
+----+---------+----+
| px | current | sx |
+----+---------+----+
|        f,e        |
+-------------------+

Jan

Posted by Dominique Devienne <dd...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 1:57 PM, Dominique Devienne <dd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 1:35 PM, Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com> wrote:
>> While you are undeniably technically right that suffixlines is a better
>> match with prefixlines, which of the three sounds better and is going to be
>> clearer to users: appendtolines, suffixlines, or postfix lines.
>
> header/footer lines?
> prolog/epilog lines?

head/tail lines?

Posted by Dominique Devienne <dd...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 1:35 PM, Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com> wrote:
> While you are undeniably technically right that suffixlines is a better
> match with prefixlines, which of the three sounds better and is going to be
> clearer to users: appendtolines, suffixlines, or postfix lines.

header/footer lines?
prolog/epilog lines?

;) --DD

Posted by Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>.
While you are undeniably technically right that suffixlines is a better
match with prefixlines, which of the three sounds better and is going to
be clearer to users: appendtolines, suffixlines, or postfix lines.

If I had to choose one, I'd go with appendtolines, with suffixlines a
close second and postfix lines a distance third. I am used to seeing the
word postfix used in the phrase "postfix notation" or as a replacement
for sendmail and find other uses a bit jarring.

But that's just my opinion.

Posted by Jesse Glick <je...@sun.com>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2010-01-06, Jesse Glick <Je...@Sun.COM> wrote:

> bodewig@apache.org wrote:

>> complement prefixlines with appendtolines

> Wouldn't the analogous name be "suffixlines"?

You know I'm not a native speaker and (at least in this case) I didn't