Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com> on 2003/10/09 12:07:18 UTC

is gump stopped?

Hi,

I've not been following what's happening lately... I've just discovered
that Gump has not been running since the 9th of September 2003:
http://cvs.apache.org/builds/gump/latest/

Has it been decommissioned? Is there a replacement?

Thanks
-Vincent

Re: is gump stopped?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 09 Oct 2003, Leo Simons <le...@apache.org> wrote:

> But until Sam says he's giving up, I'm regarding the downtime of his
> machine as temporary...

same here.

> Vincent Massol wrote:

>> Who's in charge of covalent?
>
> Other than him, I think only Sam has access. I'm sure someone else
> would be allowed on the machine as well if there's a need.

I also have an account (and just realized I may even write to the
directory that has the checked out nag.pl, so I'll try to send nags as
soon as the currently Gump run has finished) - but I'm not able to
change the scripts that are run by cron.

>> As a gump committer, will I be able to access the shell scripts
>> that start the build so that I can tune it to do what Sam's Gump
>> build was doing?

Currently not.

Stefan

Re: is gump stopped?

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Vincent Massol wrote:
> Thanks for the update. Do you know if any of these machines will copy
> nightly build outputs to http://cvs.apache.org/builds/ (for example,
> http://cvs.apache.org/builds/jakarta-cactus/nightly/ for Cactus)?

there's no plans for that yet I believe. The machine does outputs the
jars at

http://gump.covalent.net/jars/

There's also no reason why it isn't possible to sync that to minotaur.
But until Sam says he's giving up, I'm regarding the downtime of his
machine as temporary...

> For Cactus there are some rules and the distributables should be copied
> only if some subprojects succeeded in building... Could these rules be
> applied?

I don't see why not...

> Who's in charge of covalent?

the guy who manages the gump machine over there is Sander Temme
(sander@temme.net). I don't know how close he monitors this list. Other
than him, I think only Sam has access. I'm sure someone else would be
allowed on the machine as well if there's a need.

> Will covalent take over from Sam's machine?

I don't think so.

> As a gump committer, will I be able to access the shell scripts that
> start the build so that I can tune it to do what Sam's Gump build was
> doing?

That's not how it works atm, but I think that Sander will be more than
willing to help get something like that set up. I'd say: go for it and
ask him to help set it up :D

> Sorry for asking so many questions.

questions are good!

> It's just that I liked Gump a lot
> and the Cactus project was relying a lot on it for several things...

gump is great, but also always short on volunteers...it'd be real nice
if you just keep asking questions 'till you know how to "scratch your
own itch"!

cheers,

- Leo

Re: is gump stopped?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 09 Oct 2003, Leo Simons <le...@apache.org> wrote:

> starting tomorrow, the covalent machine will start sending the gump
> nag e-mails.

at least we hope so 8-)

Stefan

RE: is gump stopped?

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.
Hi Leo,

Thanks for the update. Do you know if any of these machines will copy
nightly build outputs to http://cvs.apache.org/builds/ (for example,
http://cvs.apache.org/builds/jakarta-cactus/nightly/ for Cactus)?

For Cactus there are some rules and the distributables should be copied
only if some subprojects succeeded in building... Could these rules be
applied?

Moreover, the Cactus web site is updated daily from the nightly build.

Who's in charge of covalent? Will covalent take over from Sam's machine?
As a gump committer, will I be able to access the shell scripts that
start the build so that I can tune it to do what Sam's Gump build was
doing?

Sorry for asking so many questions. It's just that I liked Gump a lot

Re: is gump stopped?

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Vincent Massol wrote:
> I've not been following what's happening lately... I've just discovered
> that Gump has not been running since the 9th of September 2003:
> http://cvs.apache.org/builds/gump/latest/
>
> Has it been decommissioned? Is there a replacement?

the gump logs on that locations are the logs resulting from a build on a
machine in Sam Ruby's house. He's having problems with it ever since the
cvs installation moved to the new minotaur box. We're hoping for him to