Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by R <a_...@radel.org> on 2017/01/06 12:07:45 UTC

Spamd per-user prefs with aliases

Hello all,

I'm running a mail server with this setup: Debian based postfix +
spamassassin (called using spamass-milter) and I have a config problem I
cannot fix by myself...

All the users are virtual users (using a sql database) and both delivery
and per-user spamassassin prefs/bayes are working just fine.

Unfortunately I have a problem with mailbox aliases. They works just
fine and the mail is correctly delivered to the main mailbox, but I
would like spamassassin to use the main mailbox user prefs and bayes....

For this reason I've tried adding the "-x" option in
/etc/default/spamass-milter, but it breaks everything, and no user
prefs/bayes works anymore.
This are some config lines from my setup, but I can provide more info if
needed.

I suppose I could switch to sql preferences for spamassassin, but I will
do this only if really needed...

Below I've changed my real domain/mailboxname with MYDOMAIN.COM and
MYEMAIL, nothing else changed.

In  /etc/default/spamassassin I've set this options

OPTIONS="--create-prefs --max-children 5 --helper-home-dir -x -u vmail
--virtual-config-dir=/var/vmail/%d/%l/.spamassassin"

and in /etc/default/spamass-milter

OPTIONS="-u spamass-milter -e MYDOMAIN.COM -i 127.0.0.1"

All of this is called by postfix with

in /etc/postfix/main.cf

smtpd_milters = unix:/spamass/spamass.sock
milter_connect_macros = j {daemon_name} v {if_name} _

in /etc/postfix/master.cf

maildrop  unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
  flags=DRhu user=vmail argv=/usr/bin/maildrop -d ${recipient}

**********

without "-x" works just fine

OPTIONS="-u spamass-milter -e MYDOMAIN.COM -i 127.0.0.1"

Jan  6 11:27:57 mail spamd[18251]: spamd: using default config for
MYEMAIL@MYDOMAIN.COM
/var/vmail/MYDOMAIN.COM/MYMAIL/.spamassassin/user_prefs
Jan  6 11:27:57 mail spamd[18251]: spamd: processing message
<878284e3fd78d1feec2e5e79a4ec947a.Seasickness.Cellaret.MYDOMAIN.COM> for
MYEMAIL@MYDOMAIN.COM:5000
Jan  6 11:27:57 mail spamd[18251]: spamd: identified spam (22.3/5.0) for
MYEMAIL@MYDOMAIN.COM:5000 in 0.3 seconds, 6638 bytes.

**********

with "-x" nothing works

OPTIONS="-u spamass-milter -x -e mydomain.com -i 127.0.0.1"

Jan  6 11:23:39 mail spamd[18251]: spamd: using default config for
spamass-milter: /var/vmail///.spamassassin/user_prefs
Jan  6 11:23:39 mail spamd[18251]: spamd: processing message (unknown)
for spamass-milter:5000
Jan  6 11:23:39 mail spamd[18251]: spamd: clean message (3.7/5.0) for
spamass-milter:5000 in 0.3 seconds, 272 bytes.

and I've got also a "probe" mail locally delivered to
spamass-milter@MYDOMAIN.COM.

Can someone help me with this config? I'm really stuck with no ideas...

Thanks in advance,
Raffaele

Re: Spamd per-user prefs with aliases

Posted by Axb <ax...@gmail.com>.
On 01/06/2017 05:06 PM, R wrote:

> Perhaps I just need to remove/replace spamass-milter,

If you're using Postfix I can recommend Fuglu (https://fuglu.org) in pre
queue mode.
lightweight, very well documented and has been rock solid.

Axb

Re: Spamd per-user prefs with aliases

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
On 1/6/2017 11:06 AM, R wrote:
> thank you for highlighting that... I've always tried to fix this
> trying to make spamassassin "alias aware". I'll try instead to just
> pass the intended mailbox name to spamc.
>
> Excluding the spamassassin word from my online researches finally I've
> started finding people with the same issue.
>
> I know have too look through all this new infos and I'll hopefully
> find something I can use.
>
> Perhaps I just need to remove/replace spamass-milter,
Exactly right.  The Alias-aware-ness comes from the glue used to call
SA.  I thought spamass-milter could do that but many people use other glues.

Off-hand, amavisd-new and mimedefang.  You can start a religious war if
you ask which is better and why. :-)  I'm guessing amavisd-new is likely
where I would have you look next if you can't get your current solution
to work.

Regards,
KAM

Re: Spamd per-user prefs with aliases

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.

Posted by R <a_...@radel.org>.
On 2017-01-06 16:02, Bowie Bailey wrote:
> On 1/6/2017 7:07 AM, R wrote:
>

>> OPTIONS="-u spamass-milter -x -e mydomain.com -i 127.0.0.1"
>>
>> Jan  6 11:23:39 mail spamd[18251]: spamd: using default config for
>> spamass-milter: /var/vmail///.spamassassin/user_prefs
>> Jan  6 11:23:39 mail spamd[18251]: spamd: processing message
>> (unknown) for spamass-milter:5000
>> Jan  6 11:23:39 mail spamd[18251]: spamd: clean message (3.7/5.0)
>> for spamass-milter:5000 in 0.3 seconds, 272 bytes.
>>
>> and I've got also a "probe" mail locally delivered to
>> spamass-milter@MYDOMAIN.COM.
>
> I don't use spamass-milter, but I would guess that the -x option may
> require some extra configuration.

Unfortunately not... "-x" is a simple switch that calls "sendmail -bv".
This command has a simple input (the alias) and should provide the
mailbox name as output.

But (now I know) postfix's "sendmail -bv" behaves in a very weird way
(compared to the original sendmail implementation): it prints nothing on
the standard output and, instead, it sends an email (!) with the tests
performed.

So, IMHO, the spamass-milter + postfix configuration simply cannot work
with aliases.

Perhaps one can write a wrapper, sitting between postfix and the
spamass-milter, but you have to perform the alias expansion, or read the
emails from postfix ... Way too much!

I think I'll try calling spamc directly and/or moving to sql user
preferences.

I'll keep you posted.

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.
On Fri, 6 Jan 2017 10:02:20 -0500
Bowie Bailey wrote:

> I don't use spamass-milter, but I would guess that the -x option may
> require some extra configuration.

According to the man page it uses sendmail -bv to perform the
translation. It also has a "Recipient processing" debug flag.

Re: Spamd per-user prefs with aliases

Posted by Bowie Bailey <Bo...@BUC.com>.
On 1/6/2017 7:07 AM, R wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm running a mail server with this setup: Debian based postfix +
> spamassassin (called using spamass-milter) and I have a config problem
> I cannot fix by myself...
>
> All the users are virtual users (using a sql database) and both
> delivery and per-user spamassassin prefs/bayes are working just fine.
>
> Unfortunately I have a problem with mailbox aliases. They works just
> fine and the mail is correctly delivered to the main mailbox, but I
> would like spamassassin to use the main mailbox user prefs and bayes....

The simplest solution may be to make the .spamassassin folder a link to
the one in the main mailbox.

--
Bowie