Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Yasin Celik <ya...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/01 00:35:56 UTC

Zookeeper consistency

Hello everyone,

>From the zookeeper website I understand that zookeeper does not provide
strict consistency in every instance in time. (
http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/trunk/zookeeperProgrammers.html#ch_zkGuarantees
)
Have ever anyone considered to make zookeeper strictly consistent at
anytime. What I mean is that any time a value is updated in zookeeper, any
client that retrieves the value from any follower should get consistent
result. Is it feasible to improve the zookeeper core so that zookeeper
delivers strict consistency not the eventual consistency?

Best

Yasin

Re: Zookeeper consistency

Posted by Vladimir Vivien <vl...@gmail.com>.
According to the doc, you can use sync() before a read to ensure you get
latest value.  This is a sensible compromise to having a strict consistency
which would kill scale.