Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Michael Gagnon <mg...@genome.med.harvard.edu> on 2008/05/27 15:21:18 UTC

RE: password> Problem

I'd imagine that's all that separates s:password from s:textfield
If you want the text to be visible, use s:textfield or s:property instead

But certainly if you're going to require that the password be shown as stars
instead of plain text, then you don't want to be sending the plain text
value along to the client side. If you're making an 'update account values'
type page where you can change your password, then you should have 2 blank
s:password fields. One to enter the new password and one to confirm.
Assuming you want to redisplay this page when submitting, then you should
acknowledge the change with a status message at the top of the page saying
'password successfully updated' or something to that effect.

Do you have some different specification that doesn't fall into these
patterns?

Posted by Michael Gagnon <mg...@genome.med.harvard.edu>.
The form could just not require the user to enter a password then.

So, you'd have a change password (call this A) and change password
confirmation textboxes (call this B) and:

1. If A has a non-null value that is not equal to B, display an error
2. If A has a non-null value that is equal to B, submit the form
3. If A has a null value, regardless of B, submit the form
4. In the update action, if password is null, do not update this field
5. In the update action, if password is not null, change the value in the DB
(from the above, this will only occur when both A and B had matching
non-null values)

I have a update page wherein I'm displaying the information as stored in DB.
Situtation can be that user may or may not want to change/update the
password. I can't user to enter his existing password.

So what are the options?

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 6:51 PM, Michael Gagnon <
mgagnon@genome.med.harvard.edu> wrote:

> I'd imagine that's all that separates s:password from s:textfield
> If you want the text to be visible, use s:textfield or s:property instead
>
> But certainly if you're going to require that the password be shown as
> stars
> instead of plain text, then you don't want to be sending the plain text
> value along to the client side. If you're making an 'update account
values'
> type page where you can change your password, then you should have 2 blank
> s:password fields. One to enter the new password and one to confirm.
> Assuming you want to redisplay this page when submitting, then you should
> acknowledge the change with a status message at the top of the page saying
> 'password successfully updated' or something to that effect.
>
> Do you have some different specification that doesn't fall into these
> patterns?

Himanshu Rathore

Re: password> Problem

Posted by Himanshu Rathore <te...@gmail.com>.
Hey Michael,

I have a update page wherein I'm displaying the information as stored in DB.
Situtation can be that user may or may not want to change/update the
password. I can't user to enter his existing password.

So what are the options?

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 6:51 PM, Michael Gagnon <
mgagnon@genome.med.harvard.edu> wrote:

> I'd imagine that's all that separates s:password from s:textfield
> If you want the text to be visible, use s:textfield or s:property instead
>
> But certainly if you're going to require that the password be shown as
> stars
> instead of plain text, then you don't want to be sending the plain text
> value along to the client side. If you're making an 'update account values'
> type page where you can change your password, then you should have 2 blank
> s:password fields. One to enter the new password and one to confirm.
> Assuming you want to redisplay this page when submitting, then you should
> acknowledge the change with a status message at the top of the page saying
> 'password successfully updated' or something to that effect.
>
> Do you have some different specification that doesn't fall into these
> patterns?

Himanshu Rathore