Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org> on 1997/07/08 02:47:33 UTC

Re: Unixisms in Apache NT

On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, Alexei Kosut wrote:

> 1. The regex library's Makefile generates headers files (*.ih), which are
> included by the regex files. This uses sh, sed and egrep, and needs to be
> done with Unix (although maybe it would work if you had DOS ports of those
> utilities). It seems to me (from a cursory examination), that these files
> are identical, no matter what OS they are produced on, and that it would
> not make one iota of difference if we removed the mkh lines from the regex
> Makefile and included the files with the distribution. Yes, it would
> change slightly Apache's regex library from the Spencer distribution, but
> it would be only changing the Makefile, not the source. I think it's
> acceptable; it'd be a big win for Windows.

We could change the Makefile to not clean out those targets (unless "make
distclean" is used, or something similar).  And to build the targets as
part of the release procedure.  I don't really think we should eliminate
the code that generates the .ih files though.  Just make it unnecessary
under NT unless someone tweaks regex, in which case they can get gnu-win32
and deal with it themselves.  It's just like distributing the result of
flex/lex/yacc/bison in addition to the source for the output.

Dean

Re: Unixisms in Apache NT

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@organic.com>.
On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> > 1. The regex library's Makefile generates headers files (*.ih), which are
> > included by the regex files. This uses sh, sed and egrep, and needs to be
> > done with Unix (although maybe it would work if you had DOS ports of those
> > utilities). It seems to me (from a cursory examination), that these files
> > are identical, no matter what OS they are produced on, and that it would
> > not make one iota of difference if we removed the mkh lines from the regex
> > Makefile and included the files with the distribution. Yes, it would

[...]

> We could change the Makefile to not clean out those targets (unless "make
> distclean" is used, or something similar).  And to build the targets as
> part of the release procedure.  I don't really think we should eliminate
> the code that generates the .ih files though.  Just make it unnecessary
> under NT unless someone tweaks regex, in which case they can get gnu-win32
> and deal with it themselves.  It's just like distributing the result of
> flex/lex/yacc/bison in addition to the source for the output.

Right. That's what I meant; just remove the lines from the default
Makefile (or comment them out). Certainly we shouldn't remove the script
that creates them (mkh).

-- Alexei Kosut <ak...@organic.com>