Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ken Bloom <kb...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/24 23:37:54 UTC

New email list - subverting your homedir

A number of people have been inspired to keep their UNIX home
directories in a version control system such as Subversion or CVS.
Many were inspired by Joey Hess's articles at
http://www.kitenet.net/~joey/cvshome.html and
http://www.kitenet.net/~joey/svnhome.html (which he titled "Subverting
your Homedir", and I have stolen his headline)

Because Subverting your home directory requires numerous obscure
tricks and hacks, particularly concerning dotfiles, I have started a
discussion group for people who have subverted their home directory to
discuss these tips and techniques.

svnhome@yahoogroups.com

--Ken Bloom

Re: New email list - subverting your homedir

Posted by Kalin KOZHUHAROV <ka...@thinrope.net>.
Ken Bloom wrote:
> A number of people have been inspired to keep their UNIX home
> directories in a version control system such as Subversion or CVS.
> Many were inspired by Joey Hess's articles at
> http://www.kitenet.net/~joey/cvshome.html and
> http://www.kitenet.net/~joey/svnhome.html (which he titled "Subverting
> your Homedir", and I have stolen his headline)
Yes, I am doing this more or less in subversion.

> Because Subverting your home directory requires numerous obscure
> tricks and hacks, particularly concerning dotfiles, I have started a
> discussion group for people who have subverted their home directory to
> discuss these tips and techniques.
Well, a simple WiKi might turn out to be a lot more helpful.

> svnhome@yahoogroups.com
Personal preference probably, but Yahoo is just full of ads. Haven't you looked
at Google groups? And I still feel a WiKi will suit more this task.

I haven't figured out "the whole" system yet and being busy most of the time prevents
me from further improving it, I am just using what I have now. As long as subversion is
concerned, getting the permissions, owner:group, and probably ACLs and other file attributes
in the mainline will help a lot.

Just my 2 yen,
Kalin.

--
|[ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ]|
+-> http://ThinRope.net/ <-+

Re: New email list - subverting your homedir

Posted by kfogel <kf...@collab.net>.

See also http://svn.red-bean.com/repos/kfogel/trunk/README :-).

> Just a small nit, as I have been scarred by the "experience" of yahoo
> groups - Couldn't Red Bean (who already hosts some svn-related lists)
> host this list? That would give an ad-free experience, while relating
> the homedir list more strongly to subversion (and, perhaps attract
> more people?).
>
> The list being on Yahoo is one of the reasons I'm currently not
> subscribed, despite potential interest for the issues at stake.

I'm personally not inclined to add Yet Another List on red-bean.com
unless it's for something important and long-lasting (while this is
interesting, I'm not sure it qualifies on either count).  However,
another Red Bean administrator might disagree with me and set it up
anyway, which would be fine -- just won't be me, that's all.

Good luck with the forum, wherever it ends up,
-Karl

--
www.collab.net  <>  CollabNet  |  Distributed Development On Demand

Re: New email list - subverting your homedir

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
On Mar 28, 2006, at 1:38 PM, David Anderson wrote:

> [Cc-ing to dev@ to get the attention of the Red Bean people]
>
> * Ken Bloom <kb...@gmail.com> [2006-03-24 17:37:54]:
>> A number of people have been inspired to keep their UNIX home
>> directories in a version control system such as Subversion or CVS.
>> Many were inspired by Joey Hess's articles at
>> http://www.kitenet.net/~joey/cvshome.html and
>> http://www.kitenet.net/~joey/svnhome.html (which he titled
>> "Subverting
>> your Homedir", and I have stolen his headline)
>
> I'm one of them. :-)
>
>> Because Subverting your home directory requires numerous obscure
>> tricks and hacks, particularly concerning dotfiles, I have started a
>> discussion group for people who have subverted their home
>> directory to
>> discuss these tips and techniques.
>
> Good idea, although I'm curious to know if the list is really
> necessary. Will it attract that much extra volume that the issues
> can't be discussed right here on users@ ?

>> svnhome@yahoogroups.com
>
> Just a small nit, as I have been scarred by the "experience" of yahoo
> groups - Couldn't Red Bean (who already hosts some svn-related lists)
> host this list? That would give an ad-free experience, while relating
> the homedir list more strongly to subversion (and, perhaps attract
> more people?).
>
> The list being on Yahoo is one of the reasons I'm currently not
> subscribed, despite potential interest for the issues at stake.

I can host the list on my mailman server.  I already host a number of
open source projects there:

If the list members agree, I can set it up.

Regards,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac, Ph.D.
<bl...@orcaware.com>

Re: New email list - subverting your homedir

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.

Posted by David Anderson <da...@calixo.net>.
[Cc-ing to dev@ to get the attention of the Red Bean people]

* Ken Bloom <kb...@gmail.com> [2006-03-24 17:37:54]:
> A number of people have been inspired to keep their UNIX home
> directories in a version control system such as Subversion or CVS.
> Many were inspired by Joey Hess's articles at
> http://www.kitenet.net/~joey/cvshome.html and
> http://www.kitenet.net/~joey/svnhome.html (which he titled "Subverting
> your Homedir", and I have stolen his headline)

I'm one of them. :-)

> Because Subverting your home directory requires numerous obscure
> tricks and hacks, particularly concerning dotfiles, I have started a
> discussion group for people who have subverted their home directory to
> discuss these tips and techniques.

Good idea, although I'm curious to know if the list is really
necessary. Will it attract that much extra volume that the issues
can't be discussed right here on users@ ?

> svnhome@yahoogroups.com

Just a small nit, as I have been scarred by the "experience" of yahoo
groups - Couldn't Red Bean (who already hosts some svn-related lists)
host this list? That would give an ad-free experience, while relating
the homedir list more strongly to subversion (and, perhaps attract
more people?).

The list being on Yahoo is one of the reasons I'm currently not
subscribed, despite potential interest for the issues at stake.

- Dave.

Re: New email list - subverting your homedir

Posted by David Anderson <da...@calixo.net>.