Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Pisarev, Vitaliy" <vi...@hp.com> on 2015/04/08 10:46:15 UTC

Looking for a way to visualize dependency structure of my multi-module pom project

I have a pretty large project (~30 modules) and want to visualize module inter dependencies, excluding 3rd party.

It seems that existing tools simply can't handle the maven reactor. The maven dependency plugin (dependency:tree goal) knows how to generate graphml, but only per module. And if I use the append flag, it simply shoves everything to a single file, so the output is a corrupted graphml.

I also found this tool<https://github.com/janssk1/maven-graph-plugin/wiki/Manual> but it seems that there is no way to control module granularity.

My last resort would be to parse the output of dependency:tree, but I thought I'll consult the community before this.

RE: Looking for a way to visualize dependency structure of my multi-module pom project

Posted by Endo Alejandro <Al...@grassvalley.com>.
Yes, you are mistaken. It creates a graph of the submodules dependencies based on the <dependencies> section in the poms of the reactor (and maybe also the transitive dependencies, can't remember). Just make sure you run it from the root pom and that you run the right mojo (reactor)

Alejandro

Posted by Laurence Bordowitz <lb...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.
I wanted to do this at one point. I just wrote a quick perl script to go through the XML of all my pom files, parse dependencies, and create an edge-list from module to dependency. You can use GraphViz, Gephi, Tulip, or some other visualizer to look at your dependencies.
Seriously, writing a quick parser utility for pom.xml files isn't so bad. It's xml. -- Larry Bordowitz

Posted by "Pisarev, Vitaliy" <vi...@hp.com>.

AW: Looking for a way to visualize dependency structure of my multi-module pom project

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
I used the maven-graph-plugin successfully too but sent the output through an XSLT to strip out stuff I didn't want.

Chris

<groupId>org.fusesource.mvnplugins</groupId>
<artifactId>maven-graph-plugin</artifactId>

I can graph all my internal projects and exclude external dependencies

-D

Posted by Dan Tran <da...@gmail.com>.
You may want to take alook