Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by "Stewart, Gary" <Ga...@luht.scot.nhs.uk> on 2006/03/23 14:55:33 UTC

CForms: Invisible Labels

I've got a form with an invisible item and a radio box that will set it to active. It works fine except the label doesn't appear. The definition looks something like:

(On the widget):

<fd:on-create>
 <fd:javascript>
    this.setState(Packages.org.apache.cocoon.forms.formmodel.WidgetState.INVISIBLE);
 </fd:javascript>
</fd:on-create>

(On the activating widget):

<fd:on-value-changed>
 <fd:javascript>
  var dod_widget = event.source.parent.lookupWidget("dod");
  if(event.source.value == "0")
	{
	 dod_widget.setState(Packages.org.apache.cocoon.forms.formmodel.WidgetState.INVISIBLE);
	 dod_widget.value = "";
	}
   else //1
	{
	 dod_widget.setState(Packages.org.apache.cocoon.forms.formmodel.WidgetState.ACTIVE);
	}
 </fd:javascript>
</fd:on-value-changed>

Is there anything else I need to set to make the label appear? I've tried using the column group layout for it and just "manually" having the label in the form but neither seem to show the label when the widget becomes active.

Thanks,

Gary

legally privileged and is intended for the addressee only. If you
have received this message in error or there are any problems
please notify the originator immediately. The unauthorised use,
disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is
strictly forbidden.

If you work for NHS Lothian and wish to have help to stop smoking, support is available by contacting stopsmoking.staff@lpct.scot.nhs.uk or 0131 537 9494  - internal 49494.  For anyone else living/working in Lothian, please contact 0800 848484 for your nearest NHS stop smoking service.

Re: CForms: Invisible Labels

Posted by Simone Gianni <s....@thebug.it>.
Hi Gary,
i suppose you are using Ajax, since without ajax it works correctly.

What's going on is basically this :
- The hidden field is rendered in the form instance with a placeholder
- The placeholder does not contains a label, so the <label> html element
is generated but is empty
- Once the widget becomes visible, a <bu:replace> is generated so that
ajax can update the widget status
- Unfortunately, ajax only updates the <span> containing the input, and
not the connected <label>

IMMO there are cases (like transition from invisible to visible) where a
bu:replace should be issued for "the entire widget", which mean the
label and even eventually the <tr> that contains the widget, since i
would expect an invisible field not to generate a <tr> in a columns
layout, but the <tr> to appear when the widget becomes visible, but this
is not easy nor tidy to implement.

As a work around, you could try the ajax fine tuning patch found here
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-1774 that should permit you
to disable ajax on the triggering widget, thus causing a complete page
reload only in that case. If this patch acts as a workaround, then
please add a comment on the bug to let other people know and vote for it
so that it get included in cocoon faster.

Another really untidy workaround could be to put the field inside a
repeater (don't know if other kind of container widgets could work as
well) and then force an ajax repeater update. Ajax updates the entire
repeater content (table or whatever else) when a row is added or removed
from a repeater, so it will update everything. You can trigger a
repeater complete ajax update with form.addWidgetUpdate(repeaterWidget).

Anyway, fill a bug in jira ( http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON
) for this issue.

If you are brave, you could try to modify the cocoon forms XSL/write a
new XSL to act this way :
- put an id on the label elements, something like [inputname]:label.
- when a bu:replace is generated, generate a companion bu:replace for
the label.

Hope this is somehow helpful,
Simone

Stewart, Gary wrote:

>I've got a form with an invisible item and a radio box that will set it to active. It works fine except the label doesn't appear. The definition looks something like:
>
>(On the widget):
>
><fd:on-create>
> <fd:javascript>
>    this.setState(Packages.org.apache.cocoon.forms.formmodel.WidgetState.INVISIBLE);
> </fd:javascript>
></fd:on-create>
>
>(On the activating widget):
>
><fd:on-value-changed>
> <fd:javascript>
>  var dod_widget = event.source.parent.lookupWidget("dod");
>  if(event.source.value == "0")
>	{
>	 dod_widget.setState(Packages.org.apache.cocoon.forms.formmodel.WidgetState.INVISIBLE);
>	 dod_widget.value = "";
>	}
>   else //1
>	{
>	 dod_widget.setState(Packages.org.apache.cocoon.forms.formmodel.WidgetState.ACTIVE);
>	}
> </fd:javascript>
></fd:on-value-changed>
>
>Is there anything else I need to set to make the label appear? I've tried using the column group layout for it and just "manually" having the label in the form but neither seem to show the label when the widget becomes active.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Gary

>The information contained in this message may be confidential or
>legally privileged and is intended for the addressee only. If you
>have received this message in error or there are any problems
>please notify the originator immediately. The unauthorised use,
>disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is
>strictly forbidden.
>

>If you work for NHS Lothian and wish to have help to stop smoking, support is available by contacting stopsmoking.staff@lpct.scot.nhs.uk or 0131 537 9494  - internal 49494.  For anyone else living/working in Lothian, please contact 0800 848484 for your nearest NHS stop smoking service.

Simone Gianni