Posted to user@ant.apache.org by michelle zaremskas <ja...@yahoo.com> on 2004/01/17 21:11:46 UTC

Problem with command arguments

I have an Ant task that I am writing which is invoking a Windows Command Line program. An example of the string I am attempting to contruct is:

pcli Put -prd:\pvcs\vm\sampledb aC:\test -o -m "My Description"  -v"My Version label" bp/chess/server /chess/server/server.bat /chess/server/shutdown.txt

The problem is I am having is that the command line executable will not allow a "space" after the -m parameter and it requires double quotes around the value I am passing.  When I attempt to construct the Command Argument using the ANT API it will either place a space after the '-m' parameter or it will place double quotes around the string like so:  "-mMy Description".

Can someone provide me some guidance on how I can correctly construct this string using the Ant API for my ANT task.

Re: Problem with command arguments

Posted by Peter Reilly <pe...@corvil.com>.
michelle zaremskas wrote:

>I have an Ant task that I am writing which is invoking a Windows Command Line program. An example of the string I am attempting to contruct is:
>

>pcli Put -prd:\pvcs\vm\sampledb aC:\test -o -m "My Description"  -v"My Version label" bp/chess/server /chess/server/server.bat /chess/server/shutdown.txt

The following should work:

<exec executable="pcli">
  <arg value="Put"/>
  <arg value="-prd:\pvcs\vm\sampledb"/>
  <arg value="aC:\test"/> <!-- or "-aC:\test" ? -->
  <arg value="-o"/>
  <arg value="-m"/>
  <arg value="My Description"/> <!-- on windows java.lang.Runtime#Exec() will put " around this -->
  <arg value="-v"/>
  <arg value="My Version label"/>
  <arg value="bp/chess/server"/>
</exec>

The ant api would follow the above:
    execTask = project.createTask("exec");
     Commandline.Argument arg;
    arg = execTask.createArg();
    arg.setValue("Put");
    arg = execTask.createArg();
    arg.setValue("-prd:\pvcs\vm\sampledb");
    arg = execTask.createArg();
    arg.setValue("-o");
    arg = execTask.createArg();
    arg.setValue("-m");
    arg.setValue("My Description")

etc

Peter

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com>.
--- javamz <ja...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> So...here is the code snippet I am using to
> construct this:
> commandLine.createArgument().setValue("-m\"" +
> getDescription() + "\"");

Did you try:

commandLine.createArgument().setValue("-m" +
getDescription());

as I suggested?

Out of the goodness of my heart, I performed the
following experiment with a file I needed to check in
(paraphrased):

<exec executable="put.exe">
  <arg value="-u" />
  <arg value="-mMy whitespaced comment" />
  <arg file="${archive-path}(${file-path})" />
</exec>

This works fine.

-Matt

Re: Problem with command arguments

Posted by javamz <ja...@yahoo.com>.
OK...let me try again....because I really do need to find a solution to this problem.

I'm looking for some guidance on how to construct the following commandline:

pcli Run -Y Put -prS:\\PVCSCTRL\\APP_JAVA_FW -yf -nv -m"My
Description"

(This is a subset of the commandline, but it demonstrates the problem that I am having.)

Where I am having a problem is constructing the argument:  -m"My Description".  The command I am attempting to invoke requires the double quotes surrounding the value and will not allow a space after the -m.  Can anyone provide me with a code snippet that will construct the command exactly as I have it above.  I would greatly appreciate any help someone could provide me.

So...here is the code snippet I am using to construct this:

commandLine.createArgument().setValue("Run");
commandLine.createArgument().setValue("-Y");
commandLine.createArgument().setValue((getExecutable(PUT_EXE)));
commandLine.createArgument().setValue("-pr" + getRepository());
commandLine.createArgument().setValue("-yf");
commandLine.createArgument().setValue("-nv");

Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com> wrote:
--- javamz wrote:
> If I set up -m as a separate argument, then I end up
> with a "space" between the -m and the value I am
> trying to pass in....PVCS will not accept the space
> after the -m. I

The thing is, once you start using separate arguments,
this should be enough to clarify your intent with
regard to embedded spaces. Having worked a little
with the PVCS command-line tools, I will say that I
agree that -m wants to be part of the same argument as
ITS argument: "-mblah" or whatever. When you use
single or double quotes at the command line, these are
used by the shell to tokenize the arguments to be
passed to the executable. When you use separate
method calls to construct this, you are doing the job
of the quotes right there. So you may find that using
an argument like "-mblah blah blah" works.

Good luck,
Matt

Re: Problem with command arguments

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by javamz <ja...@yahoo.com>.
If I set up -m as a separate argument, then I end up with a "space" between the -m and the value I am trying to pass in....PVCS will not accept the space after the -m.  I

I don't believe the single quotes are simply part of the ant debug output...it is the actual string that ANT is trying to execute.  Somehow I need to eliminate the single quote and place double quotes around the value following the -m.  .

Antoine_L�vy-Lambert <an...@antbuild.com> wrote:
javamz wrote:

> [...]
>
>pcli Run -Y Put -prS:\\PVCSCTRL\\APP_JAVA_FW -yf -nv '-m"My Description"' '-v"V6.2.0 RC2"' -o -aC:\data\WSAD\WSADV5.1\CJF-BrioV3.1/MZTest -l -z /ProjectFolder/MZTest
>
>Note the argument '-m"MyDescription"'. I need the double quotes are "My Description", but I do not want the single quote surrounding the argument....and I cannot have a space after the -m. I have tried using both the setValue method and the setLine method, but none seem to get me the result I need. Here is the code I am using to construct this command line argument:
>

>/**
>
>* Set up the "Put" command using the supplied parameters. The
>
>* following is an example of the command we are constructing:
>
>* pcli Put -prS:\\PVCSCTRL\APP_JAVA_FW -vV6.2 RC2 -yf -nv -m"My change description" -v"My Label" -z /MZTest
>
>*/
>
>commandLine.clearArgs();
>
>commandLine.createArgument().setValue("Run");
>
>log("TaskName: " + this.taskName);
>
>commandLine.createArgument().setValue("-Y");
>

>commandLine.createArgument().setValue((getExecutable(PUT_EXE)));
>
>commandLine.createArgument().setValue("-pr" + getRepository());
>

>commandLine.createArgument().setValue("-yf");
>

>commandLine.createArgument().setValue("-nv");
>

>if (getDescription() != null){
>
>commandLine.createArgument().setValue("-m\"" + getDescription() + "\"");
>

>} else {
>
>throw new org.apache.tools.ant.BuildException("CignaPvcs:executePut - Missing Required attribute 'Description'...");
>
>}
>
>if (getLabel() != null) {
>
>commandLine.createArgument().setValue("-v\"" + getLabel() + "\"");
>
>}
>

>if (getWorkspace() != null) {
>
>commandLine.createArgument().setLine("-o");
>
>commandLine.createArgument().setLine("-a" + getWorkspace());
>
>}
>

>if (getBasepath() != null ) {
>
>commandLine.createArgument().setValue("-bp");
>
>commandLine.createArgument().setLine("\"" + getBasepath() +"\"");
>
>}
>

>if (getLock() != null && getLock().equalsIgnoreCase("true")) {
>
>commandLine.createArgument().setValue("-l");
>
>}
>

>commandLine.createArgument().setValue("-z");
>

>if (getPvcsproject() != null) {
>
>commandLine.createArgument().setLine(getPvcsproject());
>
>}
>

>log("Checking in files", Project.MSG_INFO);
>
>log("Executing " + commandLine.toString(), Project.MSG_INFO);
>

>result = runCmd(commandLine, new LogStreamHandler(this, Project.MSG_INFO, Project.MSG_WARN));
>

>Thomas Schapitz wrote:
>Ahh...
>
>sorry, I missed the three letters API....
>but even then, Antoines suggestion should be turned into

I am not a PVCS expert, but I would assume that -m should be a separate
argument; then it is enough if your message is another separate argument.
The single quotes are only part of the debug output of ant.
ant is starting your application with an array of arguments.
Cheers,
Antoine

Re: Problem with command arguments

Posted by Antoine Lévy-Lambert <an...@antbuild.com>.

Posted by Thomas Schapitz <Th...@ePost.de>.
Antoine Lévy-Lambert wrote:

> michelle zaremskas wrote:
>
>> I have an Ant task that I am writing which is invoking a Windows
>> Command Line program. An example of the string I am attempting to
>> contruct is:
>>

>> pcli Put -prd:\pvcs\vm\sampledb aC:\test -o -m "My Description"
>> -v"My Version label" bp/chess/server /chess/server/server.bat
>> /chess/server/shutdown.txt
>>
>> The problem is I am having is that the command line executable will
>> not allow a "space" after the -m parameter and it requires double
>> quotes around the value I am passing.  When I attempt to construct
>> the Command Argument using the ANT API it will either place a space
>> after the '-m' parameter or it will place double quotes around the
>> string like so:  "-mMy Description".
>>
>> Can someone provide me some guidance on how I can correctly construct
>> this string using the Ant API for my ANT task.
>>
> Hi Michelle,
>
> you should construct one command line argument object per word in your
> command line.
>
> so -m is one argument
> My Description is one argument,

> You probably want to call CommandLine.Argument ExecTask#createArg()
> for each argument.
>
> For instance
>
> ExecTask myExecTask() = new ExecTask();
>
> myExecTask.setExecutable("pcli");
>
> CommandLine.Argument arg1 =  myExecTask.createArg();
> arg1.setValue("-m");
>
> CommandLine.Argument arg2 =  myExecTask.createArg();
> arg2.setValue("My Description");
>
> Antoine

Hi there.
May be not exactly, what you wanted (sorry Antoine).
As you might have found out, using the manual at
      http://ant.apache.org/manual/using.html#arg
there are two posibillities to specify arguments on the exec tag:

<exec ...>
   <arg line="....all arguments in one line "/>
</exec>

<exec ...>
   <arg value="argument1"/>
   <arg value="argument2"/>
   <arg value="argumentN"/>
</exec>

 From your question, I'm guessing that you use
the second approach. (Anyway, you should
have provided the code, and the output,
ANT delivers)
Ant does *not* however, suround the individual
arguments by double or single quotes, even if it *seems*
to do so when switching to verbose mode.
(there is even a note, telling that!)
but what it does, is inserting spaces between arguments,
if you use the value="..." syntax.

What you mioght want to do is one of the following:

<exec ...>
   <arg line="....-m\"My Description\"   ... "/>
</exec>

or

<exec ...>
   <arg value="..."/>
   <arg value="-m\"My Description\""/>
   <arg value="argumentN"/>
</exec>

Note the usage of \" to place quotes into the String.

Btw, you might have ommited the quotes surounding the argument,
if ther wasn't a space in it....(depends on the program you are using,
just try...)

Cheers,
Thomas

Re: Problem with command arguments

Posted by Antoine Lévy-Lambert <an...@antbuild.com>.

Posted by Peter Reilly <pe...@corvil.com>.
Sorry, I did not read the problem correctly.

What you are trying to do is, I think, not possible
using java's Runtime#exec() method - which is
what is used by ant.

The code for windows uses the Windows API function call - CreateProcess()
this has the crazy syntax of taking the command and the command arguments
as one string value and it is up to the command to parse this string
into arguments.

Java takes the arguments in Runtime#exec() as an array of arguments and
generates
a string from them. If an argument contains a space, the code (in
Runtime#exec()) places
double quotes around them.

Peter