Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca> on 2002/01/02 17:20:17 UTC

Win32 modperl-2 binary

Hi,
   An Apache-2/modperl-2 Win32 binary package is available at
      ftp://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/pub/other/Apache2.tar.gz
for those Win32 users who want a preview of things to come. This
archive will unpack into an "Apache2" directory, underneath which
is a "blib" subdirectory containing the necessary perl files.
These are included when starting Apache by a modperl directive
found near the end of conf/httpd.conf, where a sample "Hello
World" modperl handler is also found. Some editing of httpd.conf
will be necessary if this package is installed in a location
other than "D:\Apache2". Within the blib/ subdirectory is some
documentation on modperl-2.0.
   The package was compiled with the cvs sources of Jan 1, 2002,
using VC++ 6 and an ActivePerl based on perl-5.6.1. The
libmodperl.so library in the Apache modules/ directory will most
probably not work with other Apache-2 binary packages.
   Being under development, there are bugs present; in
particular, when stopping an Apache-2 service a memory error
results if modperl is enabled. Please let me know of any problems
you might have in getting this package installed; for
questions/problems on Apache-2, see the docs at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/, and for modperl-2, see the
information at http://perl.apache.org/ on subscribing to the
"dev" mailing list.

best regards,
randy kobes

Re: Win32 modperl-2 binary

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Ron Savage wrote:

> Folks
>
> Here's hoping I have not overlooked the obvious...
>
> What follows is a report on trying to use
> ftp://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/pub/other/Apache2.tar.gz
>
> -----><8-----
> Environment
> ===========
> WinNT 4 Sp 6a
>
> File: D:\Apache2\manual\platform\windows.html
> Comments:
>
> 1) The reference to access.conf is presumably obsolete
>
> 2) The section Running Apache for Windows as a Service does
> not say whether or not
>  the service needs to be started after having been installed.
>  I think that would help beginners

Hi Ron,
   That would be a suggestion for the Apache-2 developers ...

> File: D:\Apache2\blib\lib\Apache2.pm
> ====================================
> Comments:
>
> 1) This file contains the trivial bug in that the dir is specified twice
>
> Command:
>
> apache -V output contains:
>  -D APACHE_MPM_DIR="server/mpm/winnt"
> and this dir does not exist. Is this important? I assume not

I'm not sure ...

> Starting ======== I can't get Apache to start with options. I
> have not edited any files whatsoever.
>
> Here's a cut-and-paste from a DOS window:
>
> D:\APACHE2>bin\Apache -k start [Thu Jan 03 11:33:45 2002]
> [error] (22502)The system cannot find the file specif ied.
> : No installed service named "Apache2".

As you noted next, the service has to be installed first ...

> D:\APACHE2>bin\Apache -k install
> Using D:\Apache2/blib
> Installing the Apache2 service
> The Apache2 service is successfully installed.
>
> D:\APACHE2>bin\Apache -k start Using D:\Apache2/blib Starting
> the Apache2 service [Thu Jan 03 11:33:55 2002] [crit]
> (22703)The system could not find the environme nt option that
> was entered.  : Apache2: Failed to start the service process.

I don't know what would cause this ... The service started
successfully on both my Win98 and Win2K machine - perhaps it's
something to do with NT ... Would you happen to have another
Apache2 binary installed before that had installed an "Apache2"
service? What if you try installing a service by a different name
than the "Apache2" default - is that any different?

> D:\APACHE2>bin\Apache
> Using D:\Apache2/blib
> Using D:\Apache2/blib
>
> D:\APACHE2>bin\Apache -k uninstall
> Removing the Apache2 service
> The Apache2 service has been removed successfully.
>
> Comments:
>
> 1) Note the 2 spaces after 'environment' in the error message
> after bin\Apache -k start.
>  Is something meant to appear there?

It appears that way, but I've not seen that message before ...

> 2) It's not at all obvious that Apache only starts with no
> command line options
>
> 3) If I try this in another DOS window while Apache is
> running I get a message I find hard to believe:
> D:\APACHE2>bin\apache -k stop The Apache2 service is not
> started.

The -k start/stop options appear to be specific to services ...

> 4) Only 1 Using statement is necessary
>
> Scripts
> =======
> I can get http://127.0.0.1/ to work.
>
> I can get hello to work with http://127.0.0.1/hello.
>
> I can get d:/apache/cgi-bin/test.bat to work with
> http://127.0.0.1/cgi-bin/test-cgi.bat.
>
> But, if I patch the she-bang line of
> d:/apache/cgi-bin/printenv.pl and then try
> http://127.0.0.1/cgi-bin/printenv.pl, I get: Server error!
> Error message: couldn't create child process: 22502:
> D:/Apache2/cgi-bin/printenv.pl If you think this is a server
> error, please contact the webmaster Error 500 127.0.0.1
> 03/01/02 12:15:29 Apache/2.0.30-dev (Win32)
> mod_perl/1.99_01-dev Perl/v5.6.1
>
> The log says (2 msgs for every try): [Thu Jan 03 12:15:29
> 2002] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] (22502)The system cannot
> find the file specified.  : couldn't create child process:
> 22502: D:/Apache2/cgi-bin/printenv.pl [Thu Jan 03 12:15:29
> 2002] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] (22502)The system cannot
> find the file specified.  : couldn't spawn child process:
> D:/Apache2/cgi-bin/printenv.pl
>
> Changing line 448 of httpd.conf from
>  Options None
>  to either
>  Options ExecCGI
>  or
>  Options +ExecCGI did not get printenv.pl running either. I
> used ^C to stop and restarted the server after each edit.

That option should be added for a script directory ... Do you
have the shebang line as, eg,
   #!/Perl/bin/perl.exe
(ie, with the .exe extension). The printenv.pl script, with
this change, works for me; without the .exe extension, I
get the error you noted ...

> BSOD ==== Try starting Apache as a service, twice, with the
> same (default) name, in 2 DOS windows. This should not be
> possible, surely. -----><8-----

No, I wouldn't think so ...

best regards,
randy

Re: Win32 modperl-2 binary

Posted by Ron Savage <ro...@savage.net.au>.
Folks

Here's hoping I have not overlooked the obvious...

What follows is a report on trying to use ftp://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/pub/other/Apache2.tar.gz

-----><8-----
Environment
===========
WinNT 4 Sp 6a

File: D:\Apache2\manual\platform\windows.html
Comments:

1) The reference to access.conf is presumably obsolete

2) The section Running Apache for Windows as a Service does not say whether or not
 the service needs to be started after having been installed.
 I think that would help beginners

File: D:\Apache2\blib\lib\Apache2.pm
====================================
Comments:

1) This file contains the trivial bug in that the dir is specified twice

Command:

apache -V output contains:
 -D APACHE_MPM_DIR="server/mpm/winnt"
and this dir does not exist. Is this important? I assume not

Starting
========
[...]

[Thu Jan 03 12:15:29 2002] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] (22502)The system cannot find the file specified.  : couldn't spawn child
process: D:/Apache2/cgi-bin/printenv.pl

Changing line 448 of httpd.conf from
 Options None
 to either
 Options ExecCGI
 or
 Options +ExecCGI
did not get printenv.pl running either. I used ^C to stop and restarted the server after each edit.

BSOD
====
Try starting Apache as a service, twice, with the same (default) name, in 2 DOS windows.
This should not be possible, surely.

Cheers
Ron Savage
ron@savage.net.au