Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Soren Hilmer <so...@tietoenator.com> on 2004/02/14 23:06:40 UTC

Autogeneration or handcoding?

Hi all,

I am just getting ready to commit Steve Shorts JMX extensions.

There is a little issue with it I like to get second opinions on.

The patch removes the need to handcode the .mxinfo files by using the Phoenix
supplied doclet which handles this automagically from Javadoc tags in the
code.

However for this to work we need to commit four additional .jar files (Steve
places them in tools/lib which makes sense), the question is, do we want this
or do we want handcoded mxinfo files.

I suspect we want the handcoded ones as we also use handcoded .xinfo files,
which could also have been autogenerated.

--Soren

RE: Autogeneration or handcoding?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> > I don't know of any reason not to use a tool, but we should make sure of
> > Avalon's plans.

> Fine, I will wait for his response.

Nah, go ahead and do it.  If we have to change from @phoenix to some other
tag format, we'll just make that change.

	--- Noel

Re: Autogeneration or handcoding?

Posted by Soren Hilmer <so...@tietoenator.com>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>>To where?  MAIN?
>

>>Well both MAIN and branch_2_1_fcs
>

> Ah, that's cool.  :-)

>>>Is this a build time process?  I am possibly OK with the doclet approach
>>>(can you provide an example?) if it is strictly a build time issue.
>

>>It is strictly a build-time issue. You place tag in the MBean interface
>>like this for the DNSServerMBean:
>

>>* @phoenix:mx-topic name="DNSServer"
>

>>The same thing is possible for .xinfo files and it is documented (rather
>>well actually) at the phoenix site.
>>I thought that this was not used because we for some reason did not want
>>to introduce more tools or something.
>

> I don't know of any reason not to use a tool, but we should make sure of
> Avalon's plans.  Hopefully they are maintaining compatibility as they add
> JMX into Merlin.  I looked at http://avalon.apache.org/merlin, the Avalon
> Wiki, and the mailing lists, but couldn't find anything other than some
> e-mails back in September, so I am cc'ing Stephen to make sure we get a
> response.

Typically james is deployed as a standalone server.  It would be real
easy to add a JMX server component and then declare a dependency on this
under your management component.  I.e. nothing stopping the setup of JMX
based on the current released version of Merlin.

In answer to the broader question about JMX support in Merlin - a
prerequisite step is the introduction of a formal "facilities" model.
Within Merlin a facility is just another component except that it is
granted additional privs - in particular it has access to information
about (a) the deployment environment, (b) the entire deployment
meta-model.  Using this information a facility can navigate the model
looking for other components and quietly set things up (such as
persistence handlers, remote transports, custom lifecycle handlers,
etc.). A JMX facility will be provided that does exactly this - it will
navigate the model looking for manageable components and register them
for you automatically.

Concerning the markup format - there are still some open questions here
- in particular the possible usage of the phoenix model, or, using the
QDox JMX tags, or, closer alignment with Geronimo.

Cheers, Stephen.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Soren Hilmer <so...@tietoenator.com>.
On Sunday 15 February 2004 00:14, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > I am just getting ready to commit Steve Shorts JMX extensions.
>
> To where?  MAIN?

Well both MAIN and branch_2_1_fcs, is that not what you prefer?
or would you rather have that I wait until the merger has finished?

> > The patch removes the need to handcode the .mxinfo files by using the
>
> Phoenix
>
> > supplied doclet
> >
> > However for this to work we need to commit four additional .jar files
>
> (Steve
>
> > places them in tools/lib which makes sense)
>
> Is this a build time process?  I am possibly OK with the doclet approach
> (can you provide an example?) if it is strictly a build time issue.

It is strictly a build-time issue. You place tag in the MBean interface like
this for the DNSServerMBean:
/**
 * An interface to expose James management functionality through JMX.
 *
 * @phoenix:mx-topic name="DNSServer"
 */
public interface DNSServerMBean {

Then the .mxinfo files are autogenerated during the build process and put in
the james.jar.

The same thing is possible for .xinfo files and it is documented (rather well
actually) at the phoenix site.
I thought that this was not used because we for some reason did not want to
introduce more tools or something.

--Søren

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.