Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Alan Moore <am...@ciphergen.com> on 2002/08/14 22:43:50 UTC

1.0 Bugzilla Scrub & two unfiled exceptions

>    1.0 BUGZILLA SCRUB
>    ------------------

I know you all have plenty to do before shipping 1.0 but I just wanted to
let you know that I have repeatedly seen two exceptions being thrown by
Axis. I haven't had time to qualify/isolate a small test case that shows the
problem(s) so that I can file a bugzilla defect report.

When is the drop-dead date on filing bugzilla reports in order for them to
be considered for a 1.0 release?

FYI:

The exceptions I am seeing happen every once in a while. I haven't been able
to capture the server responses using tcpmon (it crashes) to determine
whether the responses are well formed (ie. its a client-side problem) or not
(ie. its a server-side problem.)

PROBLEM #1:

- Exception:
java.lang.ArrayStoreException
     at org.apache.axis.utils.JavaUtils.convert(JavaUtils.java:365)
     at
org.apache.axis.encoding.ser.BeanPropertyTarget.set(BeanPropertyTarget.java:
109)
     at
org.apache.axis.encoding.DeserializerImpl.valueComplete(DeserializerImpl.jav
a:260)
     at
org.apache.axis.encoding.ser.ArrayDeserializer.valueComplete(ArrayDeserializ
er.java:520)
     at
org.apache.axis.encoding.DeserializerImpl.endElement(DeserializerImpl.java:5
03)
     at
org.apache.axis.encoding.DeserializationContextImpl.endElement(Deserializati
onContextImpl.java:908)
     at
org.apache.axis.message.SAX2EventRecorder.replay(SAX2EventRecorder.java:205)
     at
org.apache.axis.message.MessageElement.publishToHandler(MessageElement.java:
664)
     at
org.apache.axis.encoding.DeserializerImpl.startElement(DeserializerImpl.java
:371)
     at
org.apache.axis.encoding.DeserializationContextImpl.startElement(Deserializa
tionContextImpl.java:874)
     at
org.apache.axis.message.SAX2EventRecorder.replay(SAX2EventRecorder.java:199)
[...]
org.apache.axis.encoding.ser.BeanDeserializer.startElement(BeanDeserializer.
java:171)
     at
org.apache.axis.encoding.DeserializationContextImpl.startElement(Deserializa
tionContextImpl.java:874)
     at
org.apache.axis.message.SAX2EventRecorder.replay(SAX2EventRecorder.java:199)
     at
org.apache.axis.message.MessageElement.publishToHandler(MessageElement.java:
664)
     at org.apache.axis.message.RPCElement.deserialize(RPCElement.java:250)
     at org.apache.axis.message.RPCElement.getParams(RPCElement.java:274)
     at ... the WSDL2Java generated stubs ...

PROBLEM #2:

-- not verbatim --

"Could not convert XXX to bean field YYY ..."

thrown by ... ser.BeanPropertyTarget.set( BeanPropertyTarget:130 ) ...

Axis version is a nightly build from 20020807. Server is running under
tomcat 4.0.4 with JDK 1.4 on Linux. Client is stand-alone app running on JDK
1.4 on Linux (same box.)

My service returns a fairly large bean with a lot of nested bean properties
and/or arrays of beans.

My client is a multi-threaded client with one thread per (WSDL2Java
generated) stub instance. Each thread repeatedly calls the same service
method. The service blocks all clients until a state change occurs at which
time it unblocks the clients and they all tend to return from the sevice
method at the same time.

The problem seems to happen more often when I run with more client
threads/stubs. They seem to occur after 100 - 200 calls to the service
method but that is a very rough estimate and there doesn't seem to be a
pattern there.

That is all the info I have for now. I'll get back to you with more details
when I get a chance.

alan