Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Dave Bettin <ja...@yahoo.com> on 2001/02/25 17:32:02 UTC

Bean taglib TODO Tasks

Before I start formulating my design ideas, what are
some of the design goals(you had in mine) regarding
the XPath, DOM, and JDBC issues?

Regards,
Dave Bettin

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Re: Bean taglib TODO Tasks

Posted by Michael Gerdau <mg...@technosis.de>.
>Could someone please comment on my questions below, thanks.

Not sure wether I do qualify but since I had contributed to a topic
bordering at your question some time ago and am still working on the
issue here are my DM 0,02:

>I'm interested in how JDBC/GenericDataSource will be integrated into
>the tablibs.  Here are some questions just to stimulate some
>discussion.
>
>  * How will ResultSet values be created from within a tag ?
>    Maybe something like:
>
>       <bean:define id="result" datasource="myds"
>                    sql="some sql query">
>

>  * Would other tags (i.e. iterate) then be extended to
>    work with ResultSets ?

This whole area isn't exactly trivial if solved in a generalized way and
I don't think it is possible to have a final answer yet.

AFAICT there are quite a few of us working on solutions to this and
similar problems which IMO shows it is a rather common problem.

Therefor I'd expect we'll see a couple of ideas during the next months
(a few more or less working examples already exist if I recall it
correctly) and this presumably will lead to a design that does (well
should ;) do what most users will need as a first shot.

Here is an excerpt of what I am working on right now:

I am currently trying to learn enough about XSLT to allow defining the
underlying datamodel in XML such that all the accessclasses as well as
possibly some Formbeans could be generated automatically (and of course
some SQL etc.)

As a sideeffect some helper classes that deal with merging different
SQL-Stmts and such possibly need to be created as well (and this
might allow for an easy implementation of your above idea).

I assume the extension of iterate and such tags to deal with the
results will be done almost "automatically" once we have a working
infrastructure for dataaccess.

Best,
Michael
--
 Vote against SPAM - see http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/
 Michael Gerdau       email: mgd@technosis.de

Re: Bean taglib TODO Tasks

Posted by Nick Afshartous <ni...@proactcorp.com>.
Could someone please comment on my questions below, thanks.
--

	Nick

From: Nick Afshartous <ni...@proactcorp.com>
To: struts-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: Bean taglib TODO Tasks
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 11:36:21 -0500 (EST)

Re: Bean taglib TODO Tasks

Posted by Nick Afshartous <ni...@proactcorp.com>.

From: "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>
To: struts-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 14:18:13 -0800

Re: Bean taglib TODO Tasks

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Dave Bettin wrote:

> Before I start formulating my design ideas, what are
> some of the design goals(you had in mine) regarding
> the XPath, DOM, and JDBC issues?

I have not thought out design plans in detail, but the following goals
would be high on my list:

* For the existing custom bean tags, such as <bean:define>
  or <bean:write>, the page designer should not know or care
  whether the underlying data is JavaBeans (the currently supported
  property lookup mechanism), a DOM object (where attributes and
  nested elements look like "properties"), or a JDBC ResultSet
  or RowSet (which appear to be a collection of beans, where each
  row is a bean and each column is a property).

* For existing tags that take "name", "property", and "scope"
  arguments, define an "xpath" attribute that uses an XPath
  expression to access properties.  This would be an alternative
  to the existing name/property/scope access, extended as
  defined in the previous point.

The basic idea is we want to make the presentation pages as independent
as possible of the actual architecture of the data that is provided by
the business logic.  In addition, transparent support for DOM and JDBC
objects will enable simple applications that require little or no
processing to be created.

> Regards,
> Dave Bettin

Craig McClanahan

Bean taglib TODO (DOM/JDBC)

Posted by Dave Bettin <ja...@yahoo.com>.
With these two tasks in mind, should I design a way
for these "types" to created through view
component(s)? It looks like the Rowset/ResultSet
objects could be handled by the future JDBC tag
library.

Comments?

Regards,
Dave