Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by manning allan <al...@tgminto.com> on 2008/09/30 17:34:55 UTC

[users@httpd] SSl question

I have apache set up on my home PC. I handle many domains, many of which are
websites located on Tripod or Geocities, and I am just effectively
forwarding the name to the current location.

I have edited my http.conf to direct the various domain names to various
folders in my httdocs folder, where they are then redirected (and set to
only show the original address in the bar).

My question is, I have a site I am working on that will be a secured site.
It is currently on a secured server, but my home PC is not. I need to show
my employer a fully functional website before they will release the funds to
rent my own server and set it up for SSL. Can I set up my home PC to receive
the https://www.domain.com <https://www.domain.com/>  and then redirect it
to the secured server, without making all of my other domains require the
https?

Thanks

Allan Manning

MIS

Employee Health & Safety Rep (certified)

TG Minto Corporation

300 Toronto St.

Palmerston, Ont.,

N0G 2P0

(519) 417-2249 Direct Line

(519) 343-2800 Ext.2249

(519) 343-3200 Fax

TG VoIP 676-2249

Re: [users@httpd] SSl question

Posted by "J. Greenlees" <li...@jaqui-greenlees.net>.
Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 September 2008 09:04:55 pm manning allan wrote:
>
>> I have apache set up on my home PC. I handle many domains, many of which
>> are websites located on Tripod or Geocities, and I am just effectively
>> forwarding the name to the current location.
>>
>> I have edited my http.conf to direct the various domain names to various
>> folders in my httdocs folder, where they are then redirected (and set to
>> only show the original address in the bar).
>>

>> My question is, I have a site I am working on that will be a secured site.
>> It is currently on a secured server, but my home PC is not. I need to show
>> my employer a fully functional website before they will release the funds
>> to rent my own server and set it up for SSL. Can I set up my home PC to
>> receive the https://www.domain.com <https://www.domain.com/>  and then
>> redirect it to the secured server, without making all of my other domains
>> require the https?
>>

>> Thanks
>>

>> Allan Manning
>>
>> MIS
>>
>> Employee Health & Safety Rep (certified)
>>
>> TG Minto Corporation
>>
>> 300 Toronto St.
>>
>> Palmerston, Ont.,
>>
>> N0G 2P0
>>
>> (519) 417-2249 Direct Line
>>
>> (519) 343-2800 Ext.2249
>>
>> (519) 343-3200 Fax
>>
>> TG VoIP 676-2249
>>

> Yes you can, but you need a SSL certificate for that. Well, you can generate
> one signed by yourself using genkey command (crypto-utils package) but the
> browser will warn the user about the self-signed certificate.

also, Firefox 3 gets nasty about adding a self signed cert.
Aparently the Firefox developers hate self signed certs and have made it
harder to get one installed into the browser's list.
I don't use Firefox, so this is not something I have seen myself, but it
was discussed on an article discussion about certificates on CBS
Interactive's techrepublic.com

Re: [users@httpd] SSl question

Posted by Nilesh Govindrajan <li...@itech7.com>.