Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Haitham Mahmoud <ha...@advantechnologies.com> on 2002/07/25 01:58:40 UTC

Cookie Passing Problem

Hi All,
I have been getting this problem only with Apache Servers (I tried it
with versions 1.3.12 and version 2.0.36)
Part of the application I am involved in implements cookie
authentcation, calling the verification page with the login information
and then propagating the saved cookie information with each request, I
am using raw sockets to perform the operation (in java), It always
giving me the same error with Apache, calling the authentication page
works fine, however, when I try to pass the Cookie header field set to
the saved cookie value, the socket keeps waiting for the response that
never come.
The same mechanism I used it with IIS server and it works with no problems,

here is my login request header
----------------
POST /admin/ProcessLogin.jsp HTTP/1.1
Host: host
Connection: CLOSE
Accept: text/html

user_id=administrator&password=administrator

----------------

Response header :
----------------
HTTP/1.1 302 Moved Temporarily
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 23:49:38 GMT
Server: Apache/2.0.36 (Win32) mod_jk/1.2.0
Set-Cookie: JSESSIONID=893DE7C2176B3B10536D08D600FA419A;Path=/admin
Location: http://host:8080/admin/AdminHome.jsp

----------------

I then submit the my request for the other page:
----------------
GET /admin/ListPages.jsp HTTP/1.1
Host: host
Accept: text/html
Cookie: JSESSIONID=893DE7C2176B3B10536D08D600FA419A;Path=/admin

----------------

The socket keeps waiting and no response shows, I dont know where the
problem is and I really appreicate it if you can help me with that

Re: Cookie Passing Problem

Posted by Haitham Mahmoud <ha...@advantechnologies.com>.
Hi All,
That was the cause of the problem, when I pass the path value
"Path=/admin" in Cookie header parameter, with Apache version 2.036, the
socket keeps waiting forever, with version 1.3.12 the story is a bit
different and it returns this error:

<h1>Error: 500</h1>
<pre>
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Cookie name Path is a reserved token
        at javax.servlet.http.Cookie.<init>(Cookie.java:185)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.RequestUtil.processCookies(RequestUtil.java:187)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.RequestImpl.getCookies(RequestImpl.java:379)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.request.SessionInterceptor.requestMap(SessionInterceptor.java:101)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.processRequest(ContextManager.java:594)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:552)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.connector.Ajp12ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Ajp12ConnectionHandler.java:156)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpConnectionThread.run(SimpleTcpEndpoint.java:338)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)
</pre>

Thanks