Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org> on 2001/03/06 08:37:06 UTC

IMAP et al.

Hi,

I just started to try to understand the IMAP server code  little more -
some of it is a little intimidating (a 600 line method !!!!) but I sorta
get it. Just a question - are the docs up to date?

If I had an IMAP client would it work on james as it is and what issues
would I have?

Cheers,

Pete

Re: IMAP et al.

Posted by Charles Benett <Ch...@benett1.demon.co.uk>.

Peter Donald wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just started to try to understand the IMAP server code  little more -
> some of it is a little intimidating (a 600 line method !!!!) but I sorta
> get it.
Which is quite impressive!

> Just a question - are the docs up to date?
Which docs? Probably not.

> If I had an IMAP client would it work on james as it is and what issues
> would I have?

Not yet, at least in any useful way. I had got to the stage of testing
it with the Pine client, which can log protocol level debug data. It
should sign on and open INBOX OK, but something was wrong with message
handling.

Think of it as early alpha. As you found, the code still needs quite a
lot of cleaning up.

Regards,

Charles