Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Shantanu Deo <sh...@elixir-it.com> on 2003/04/23 19:15:22 UTC

Moving from Tapestry 2.2 to 2.4-alpha-5

Hi
   We are trying to move an app. that used to run on 2.2 to 2.4 alpha-5.
I get the following exception when we point the browser to our app.

type Exception report

message Internal Server Error

description The server encountered an internal error (Internal Server Error)
that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

javax.servlet.ServletException: Could not parse specification
classpath:/org/apache/tapestry/Framework.library.
	at
org.apache.tapestry.engine.AbstractEngine.service(AbstractEngine.java:842)
	at
org.apache.tapestry.ApplicationServlet.doService(ApplicationServlet.java:238
)
	at org.apache.tapestry.ApplicationServlet.doGet(ApplicationServlet.java
<more stuff> followed by:
root cause org.apache.tapestry.ApplicationRuntimeException: Could not parse
specification classpath:/org/apache/tapestry/Framework.library.
	at
org.apache.tapestry.engine.DefaultSpecificationSource.parseLibrarySpecificat
ion(DefaultSpecificationSource.java:237)
	at
org.apache.tapestry.engine.DefaultSpecificationSource.getLibrarySpecificatio
n(DefaultSpecificationSource.java:376)
	at
org.apache.tapestry.engine.DefaultSpecificationSource.getFrameworkNamespace(
DefaultSpecificationSource.java:417)
Can anybody help us in solving this problem ?Here is the web application
specification<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?><!DOCTYPE
web-appPUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application
2.2//EN""http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2.2.dtd"><web-app>
<display-name>Apollo Application</display-name>    <servlet>
<servlet-name>apollo</servlet-name>
<servlet-class>org.apache.tapestry.ApplicationServlet</servlet-class>
<load-on-startup>0</load-on-startup>    </servlet>    <!--The single mapping
used for the Tapestry application-->    <servlet-mapping>
<servlet-name>apollo</servlet-name>        <url-pattern>/app1</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>    <session-config>
<session-timeout>90</session-timeout>    </session-config>    <resource-ref>
<description>            Resource reference to a factory for
java.sql.Connection            instances that may be used for talking to a
particular            database that is configured in the server.xml file.
</description>        <res-ref-name>            jdbc/elixir
</res-ref-name>        <res-type>            javax.sql.DataSource
</res-type>        <res-auth>            Container        </res-auth>
</resource-ref></web-app>

RE: exceptions w/ tapestry 2.2 during high volume

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com>.
I can't think of any.  The interface to OGNL hasn't changed at all, so cross
your fingers.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Tapestry: Java Web Components

Posted by Drew Davidson <dr...@ognl.org>.

+---------------------------------+

Re: exceptions w/ tapestry 2.2 during high volume

Posted by Eric Schneider <er...@centralparksoftware.com>.
Drew,

> Is the context being reloaded?  Is there any way to tell?

This is definitely something I can look at.  The container we use is SunOne
7.0, which definitely has some hot class reloading features/insanity.  I
think the default configuration of the app server checks every two seconds
to see if any .class/.jar files were touched.  If so, it would then reload
the context for the app.  We do this reloading in development to avoid
stoping and starting the container every time a change is made, but I'm
almost 100% sure this never happens in production.

Let me poke around a bit.  It may indeed be the app server doing some
evilness.  I'll get back to you.

Thanks for the suggestion.

e.

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com>.
Again, my gut feeling is that the underlying problem is non-synchronized
access to the Introspector when OGNL is scanning new classes for JavaBeans
properties.

On the other hand, in an app with that kind of usage, you'd also expect that
all the reachable objects had already been introspected and cached by OGNL;
that does raise the issue of a classloader problem.  To your point, though,
the question is why such a totally limited effect ... the walls should come
crashing down.

Perhaps it has something to do with load balancing?  Perhaps OGNL is choking
on an object that was stored as persistent state, moved from server A to
server B, and a difference in classloader hiearchy causes the failure.

Posted by Drew Davidson <dr...@ognl.org>.

+---------------------------------+

RE: exceptions w/ tapestry 2.2 during high volume

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com>.

Posted by Drew Davidson <dr...@ognl.org>.

+---------------------------------+

Re: exceptions w/ tapestry 2.2 during high volume

Posted by Eric Schneider <er...@centralparksoftware.com>.
Adam,

It's the nhl.com.  They've got an interesting setup.  Due to the volume, a
majority of the pages are written to static files nightly.  Perl scripts
invoke tapestry urls to write out this content.  There are portions of the
site that are always dynamically driven (Scoreboards, Schedules, News, Quick
Polls, etc.).

e.

Posted by Adam Greene <ag...@romulin.com>.

Posted by Drew Davidson <dr...@ognl.org>.

+---------------------------------+

RE: exceptions w/ tapestry 2.2 during high volume

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com>.
Have to check in with Drew about how well OGNL works under these conditions.
There may be some race conditions w.r.t. class loaders, loading classes
simultaneously.

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com>.
I'm still waiting for Drew to do some high-load testing.

All Tapestry access to OGNL filters through a single class, OgnlUtils.  If
you make the static methods on OgnlUtils synchronized, you may be able to
avoid your problem.  It would also help us to diagnose the problem.
Obviously, there would be a performance hit, because Tapestry applications
spend a good amount of time inside OGNL.

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com>.
Drew, the OGNL guy, is taking a peek at this.

Posted by Eric Schneider <er...@centralparksoftware.com>.
Hi all,

[...]

ognl.MethodFailedException: Method "setIndexBinding" failed for object

Re: Moving from Tapestry 2.2 to 2.4-alpha-5

Posted by Shantanu Deo <sh...@elixir-it.com>.
Thanks, a clean install of JBoss with copying the reqd. files from Tapestry
again seemed to fix it.
But I desperately need _ANY_AVAILABLE_ documents pertaining to the latest
version, even if it is in an incomplete state, it would spare me a lot of
pain. Please mail me if you can.

Thanks a million
Shantanu

Posted by Christian Sell <ch...@netcologne.de>.
How's your web.xml? Is your .application file being loaded at all?

Posted by Shantanu Deo <sh...@elixir-it.com>.
Hi
   It was me, and that problem seemed to be some old jar file of some
library. But after that was resolved, I still cannot get past this
particular problem. Honestly, I think you (meaning the Tapestry Gurus-
Howard and Co) will free yourself from having to answer a lot of queries
like mine, if only you had all the documentation in place, then you can
truly say RTFM and focus on development and taking tapestry further. So my
plea to all the powers that be, is to make haste and bring the documentation
upto date. Currently all you see is --- "This is out of date".

-Shantanu

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com>.

Posted by Shantanu Deo <sh...@elixir-it.com>.
[...]

org.apache.tapestry.engine.AbstractEngine.service(AbstractEngine.java:878)
org.apache.tapestry.ApplicationServlet.doService(ApplicationServlet.java:238
)
org.apache.tapestry.ApplicationServlet.doGet(ApplicationServlet.java:199)

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com>.